Produce > Recipes

busy_lizzie's Pasties

(1/4) > >>

Admin aka Dan:
Here is a plate of my mini veggie and lentil pasties - Good for the Holiday
Season as tasty things to have for buffets and parties.  Recipe to follow.

Best Wishes

busy_lizzie

MagpieDi:
They look absolutely scrumptious....busy lizzie!!
Look forward to the recipe!

Hot_Potato:
:P....they look fantastic Busy Lizzie.....also keen to have recipe.....H.P.

busy_lizzie:
Hi, I am soooo proud  ;D ;D my pasties on the Message Board! Many Thanks to Dan!  I know I am being embarrassing,  :-[ :-[and need to get a life!!  Made them a week ago and they are now residing in the freezer.  

Thought before I give you the recipe, would tell you that in line with Christmas Baking preparations late this afternoon I am going to make my Christmas Cake.  This has turned into a family ceremony as every year my children (both in their twenties now) and  their partners and some friends all gather to give the mixture a stir for good luck, they all make a wish and make an attempt at stabbing the devil (a cherry).  Then my husband makes a speech, usally along the lines of "Good Health and Happiness at Christmas" then we have a glass of port and some shortbread.  

Anyway on with the recipe:  This is basically a mixture of any vegetables, and red lentils in a hot water crust pastry.

Ingredients for filling: Onions, garlic, mushrooms, leeks, carrots, parsnip, swede, brussel sprouts, potatoes, but any combination of vegetables will do. Meat eaters can also add chopped cooked meat if preferred.

2/3 tablespoons of oil, varied according to your quantities of veg.

2/3 dessertspoons of medium curry powder to taste

4 ozs red lentils (approx)
A Stock Cube or Bouillon in hot water enough to cover vegetables.  and salt, pepper , bay leaves and any other favourite herbs.

Method:  Sweat all the chopped vegetables in the oil, until they are softening, then add the curry powder and cook for a few minutes then add the stock, and when simmering a little, add the rinsed red lentils, and cook until the lentils are soft. add the flavourings, salt, pepper and any herbs.  The object is to end up with  what looks like a thick vegetable and lentil stew, not too dry but not too runny. Leave it to cool considerably.

The Hot Water Crust Pastry ingredients:
12 Ozs plain flour
1/2 level teaspn salt.
4 ozs soft table margarine
1 egg yolk
1/4 pint of water

Method:  Sift flour and salt into a warmed bowl. Put the fat and the water into a small pan over a low heat until the fat has melted, then bring to the boil.  Make a well in the centre of the flour and drop the egg yolk in, cover the yolk with a little of the flour then quickly add the hot fat mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture is cool enough to handle.  Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead quickly until soft and pliable.  Shape the dough into a ball, put onto a warm plate and cover with an inverted bowl.  Leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.  

Roll out onto a floured surface to the thickness you require.  Mine is quite thin, but thick enough so mixture doesn't burst through.  I use the other end of a sundae dish to cut out shape, so my pasties come out about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in length, good finger food, but not too tiny.  Place mixture in the middle of each round then brush egg around the edges, and make your pastie shape.  Brush with an egg wash, and cook in quite a hot oven 180/190 electric. 4/5 Gas.  10/15 minutes depending on your oven.  Keep watching and when your pasties turn a light golden brown they are ready. My recipe makes abour 20.

They are so versatile as you can add anything you like to the mixture.  I have been making them for the past 15 years and they always go down a treat, so hope anyone who tries them enjoys them.  Hope my explanation is okay, if not don't hestitate to get in touch.  They freeze very well too.

I am off to make my Christmas Cake now.  Best Wishes, Busy_Lizzie  :D :D  

Colin_Bellamy-Wood:
Hi Busy Lizzie, your photo of the pasties looks so delicious that I've "saved" your recipe, and I hope to get a few done to practise before Christmas.   I guess that because they will be curry-hot, the need to serve heat hot is not necessary.

Thanks for publishing, I'll let you know how we get on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version