Author Topic: Pertol Strimmer problem  (Read 17148 times)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: Pertol Strimmer problem
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 18:44:45 »
older machines that were built to last.

If the current machines are so poor, I am glad I have an old Wolsely Tiller (how long have they been defunct), I bought it many years ago from a customer I was painting a house for. It seems that if modern two stroke oil is so unreliable, we would be better off with a straight (non detergent) engine oil. My McCulloch strimmer doesn't seem to have any problems.

A big problem these days is ignorance when it comes to mechanics. A large majority of people haven't a clue what to do if something doesn't work. I cycle several thousand miles a year, yet fellow cyclists haven't a clue how to mend a puncture or adjust their gears. They have to take it to a repair shop.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 22:38:16 »
If the current machines are so poor, I am glad I have an old Wolsely Tiller

At least everyone has heard of Wolsely Tillers. My avatar is not there because it's pretty, that is my clod breaker machine, probably about 35 years old and not even half life expired.

4 stroke engine though.

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 10:25:01 »
Quote from: Melbourne12
Just an idea, but it sometimes works with two-strokes that have been laid up.  Flood the carb (usually a squeeze bulb), full choke, engine switch ON.  Pull it two or three times.  It may "cough", which is a good sign.

Then choke off, pull it sharply again, and it may start.  Let it idle until warm before giving it full throttle.

I conceded and bought a new Ryobi petrol strimmer on Sunday.  Melbourne's explanation is exactly how the destructions say to start from cold.

From my experience with engines (very limited when it comes to 2 stroke) I'd imagine that it's just got a bit bunged up after storing it with fuel in.  New fuel and a few pulls through may be enough to sort it.  If not you'll have to resort to surgery.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 10:49:46 »
Just an idea, but it sometimes works with two-strokes that have been laid up.  Flood the carb (usually a squeeze bulb), full choke, engine switch ON.  Pull it two or three times.  It may "cough", which is a good sign.

Then choke off, pull it sharply again, and it may start.  Let it idle until warm before giving it full throttle.

Sorry, forgot to say - this worked a treat!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 17:44:18 »

Sorry, forgot to say - this worked a treat!

Cheers,
Rob ;)

Rob,

glad it worked for you .... no repairs bill ... have a good season and 'drain' the little devil in the Autumn before putting away

cheers
Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 09:31:16 »
Don't worry, I won't be making that mistake again!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 16:24:49 »
While everyone is talking about strimmers does anybody have any recommendations? I was looking at the ryobi but a bit nervous about the whole thing mixing the fuel etc.
Is it better then to just mix a small amount then?
Also worried I might chose one too heavy for me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal