Author Topic: Pertol Strimmer problem  (Read 17147 times)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Pertol Strimmer problem
« on: April 23, 2007, 14:17:46 »
Hi everyone, hoping someone can offer some advice!

Tried to strim the lottie yesterday, but the strimmer wouldn't start >:( It's spent the winter in my garden shed (cold, and probably a bit leaky...) so my first thought is that the plug needs changing, but if anyone has any other ideas for things I can check, please let me know!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Re: Pertol Strimmer problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 14:41:27 »
Rob,

did you store it over Winter with fuel in the tank and Carburretor ?

This is the most common problem when trying to start up in Spring. The Petrol evaporates and leaves behind a 'resin' type substance which clogs up the Carb needle and jets. Old Petrol also loses it's strength when stored in small quantities over several months, like in a Strimmer or Lawnmower tank.

Did you put new fuel in it before trying to start, or was there old fuel in the tank ?
If old fuel, then drain it and try with new fuel. If you can, dismantle the Carb and give all parts a good wash with new Petrol.

Plug could also be gunged up, so worth taking out and cleaning/re-setting the gap.

When mixing 2 Stroke mixture, be careful not to overdo the ratio of Oil to Petrol (usually 2 to 3 %) on my McCulloch Strimmer the ratio is 2.5 %

If all else fails visit the Mower/Strimmer maintenance man, will cost around £30 for a full service plus extra for parts.

Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 14:47:17 »
Hi Mikey,

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes I did store it with fuel in the tank :-[ so this sounds like a quite possible answer to my problem. I'll do what you suggest and hopefully get it working again.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 14:52:25 »
Mikey - you should repeat that very helpful advice in the Autumn.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 23:26:46 »
I also have a problem with my petrol strimmer.

It's been borrowed, and I can't retrieve it yet.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 14:01:04 »
Just an idea, but it sometimes works with two-strokes that have been laid up.  Flood the carb (usually a squeeze bulb), full choke, engine switch ON.  Pull it two or three times.  It may "cough", which is a good sign.

Then choke off, pull it sharply again, and it may start.  Let it idle until warm before giving it full throttle.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 14:09:22 »
Thanks, will try that tonight. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Rob ;)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 17:34:13 »
rob,
Agree with mikey.
Another useful tip is to spray a little 'Easistart' into the air filter.
This will start the most stubborn engine.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 18:42:16 »
Just an idea, but it sometimes works with two-strokes that have been laid up.  Flood the carb (usually a squeeze bulb), full choke, engine switch ON.  Pull it two or three times.  It may "cough", which is a good sign.

Then choke off, pull it sharply again, and it may start.  Let it idle until warm before giving it full throttle.

This is how I start my McCulloch Strimmer and Chain Saw every time from cold, Winter/Summer ... usually starts without fuss (fingers crossed now I have said that  ;))
But do NOT do this after the engine is hot, start with no choke or just one notch until engine fires

Good luck, may the Good Fairy of 2-Strokes be with you
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 22:10:03 »
Bear in mind too that the fuel once mixed is only good for a month or so. Although the oil usually comes with a handy measure for 5 litres pf petrol, if you are not going to use that much fuel in a month, smaller amounts should be mixed. I see people struggling with 2 stroke engines all the time but I use them daily and expect them to start without fuss until the machine comes to the end of its useful life.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 23:01:18 »
Chuck the old fuel out and put some very lean mix fuel in. I usually put a drop of super unleaded in:)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 14:32:57 »
I have been very careless and lucky, apparently. I made one big petrol can full of the mix about 10 years ago and used the strimmer a lot - then moved hose and didn't need it for 7 years - then got a rough allotment last year, got out the strimmer, and after a few delays and despairs it got going again and I used it a lot. Used it yesterday after a few months more neglect, and it started well with only a few complaints.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 14:37:43 »
Great! Can I borrow it? ;D

Cheers,
Rob ;)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 14:55:54 »
I LOATHE the allotment petrol strimmer (and I was responsible for buying the damned thing  ::) )

It's more temperamental than me with PMT ... and that's saying something  ::)

After 20 minutes of trying to start it I put it back in the shed and 'PRETEND' I've had enough and won't be trying again ... and then 5 minutes later, when it's not expecting it, I run back into the shed and it usually starts first time. Cantankerous GIT that it is  ::)

Sometimes I think I'd rather tackle weeds and brambles with a pair of nail scissors than try to start it.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 15:00:24 »
If I can't get mine to work I've seen a rather nice (and very big!) scythe that I'd quite like... Imagine walking to the plot with that over my shoulder!

Cheers,
Rob ;)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 15:23:50 »
Just make sure you wear a long black cloak with a hood and smile innappropriately at people @ bus-stops  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 15:27:21 »
Just make sure you wear a long black cloak with a hood and smile innappropriately at people @ bus-stops  ;D

And how would that be different from any other day? :o

Cheers,
Rob ;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 08:55:41 »
To begin with, I don't know of any four stroke strimmers. Two stroke engines are very prone to this problem. It arises from the fact that petrol (being a volatile substance) evaporates and therefore leaves a mixture far too rich in oil. Too much oil and the flash point is seriously raised so that the spark plug is not capable of igniting the mixture. At the end of the season drain out ALL of the petroil mixture from the tank and carburetter (if you can remember to do so) and refill in the Spring. Four stroke engines do not have this problem and will usually start after even years of standing idle. I have a four stroke rotavator which stood unused for about five years, it started without any problem.

A petroil mixture of the correct ratio can be stored in a sealed can for years without any deterioration. Regarding mixture ratio's, early two stroke engines had a ratio of half pint to one gallon (1:16), later they used one third to one gallon (1:24), a commonly used ratio these days is 1:50 or 20ml to 1 litre (20ml is four teaspoonfuls).

A very well known scrambles rider once experimented with mixtures and found that he could run his engine on 1:150 mixture, destruction point came in at 1:200.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:12:26 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 11:31:35 »
In my days of riding a moped (back in the 70's) I found it would run happily on a capful of oil to a gallon of petrol; I don't know what the exact ratio was, but it flourished. They don't appreciate too rich a mixture.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 12:27:06 »
A petroil mixture of the correct ratio can be stored in a sealed can for years without any deterioration

Sorry to disagree but the shelf life of modern 2-stroke fuel once mixed is little more than one month. If you want trouble-free starting you have to do what the makers reccomend. Heros, experimenters and lazy folks waste enormous amounts of time and energy trying to start their machines.

Modern garden machinery is built to very fine tolerances and if run outside these limits it dies unlike older machines that were built to last.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal