Author Topic: Sulphate of Iron - Moss and Algae killer + Good for Acid Lovers  (Read 2522 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Found the following info on the Sale Horticultural Society web pages
http://www.shas.org.uk/whats-it-for/sulphate-of-iron.shtml

Quote ...
Sulphate of Iron is used for lawn improvement, moss control and for creating the acidic soils needed by lime-hating plants such as rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers etc. It darkens the lawn grasses and improves their appearance. Used regularly, it gradually increases the acidity of the soil, which discourages some weeds and favours the finer grasses. It helps to protect the lawn against some common diseases and controls moss and algae growth.

As it is soluble in water, a convenient "moss killer" can be made by dissolving 1oz in 2 gallons of water and applying this from a plastic watering can with a fine rose over 4 square yards in spring and autumn. (In spring, the inclusion of sulphate of ammonia (2oz) will boost the growth of the grass but this should be omitted from the autumn treatment so that the grass will harden off for the winter.)   Un-Quote

The reason I was researching Sulphate of Iron is that I recently watered my Tarmac driveway with a solution mixed 4 Tablespoons to 2 Gallons of warm water .... this to attempt to kill the Moss. As a Moss killer it is fantastic, within a few days all Moss turned Black and gave up the Ghost, then quite easy to brush off.

I then discovered that at a weaker solution (1 Tablespoon to 2 Gall) was good for 'rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers etc.', so my thinking is, if a weak solution is good for these plants, would such a solution kill off the 'orrible green slime and Moss which I frequently get on my Seedlings (and until now have used Cheshunt Compound, with limited success).

Has anyone tried this ?  thoughts and suggestion please

thanks
Mikey

PS a few drops of something 'wet' have just fallen from the Sky ... what is it  ;D

North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal