Author Topic: Our Lottie Shop  (Read 7691 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Our Lottie Shop
« on: May 24, 2004, 12:45:36 »
Another woman committee member and I are hoping to revitalise our lottie shop, which is in a very basic wooden shed on the site.  It looks as though it has never changed in the last sixty years, -  don't want to appear sexist , but men have always run it and it has always been very basic, (need I say more) ! ::) .  

We would like to make it more attractive inside and better stocked.  I have this idea of making it a bit of a social hub by having benches and tables outside it.  We thought we could also serve cold drinks in the summer and hot soup in the winter.  The first thing we need to do is try to persuade the other committee members to let us have electricity installed.  Has anyone got any other ideas I can use to make it better. Would really appreciate all your input. :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:Our Lottie Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 17:49:33 »
Hi Bizzy!

What a lovely idea and what a great place to retreat to when those showers suddenly come out of nowhere.  

No experience of lotties but how about large notice board.  Sounds a bit obvious and you've probably thought of it already but if it's there for all sorts of notices, tends to be something people look at and might encourage them to come to regard it as their clubhouse!

If electricity isn't an option, how about calor gas as long as someone is responsible for monitoring condition of cylindars and connections.  Is cheap and very efficient provided properly maintained!  Lived on my boat with no tricity and calor worked wonders!

Sounds a bit kitch but how about getting posters from people like potato marketing board, etc., to bring in some colour.  Usually can be obtained for free.  Or can be picked up from places like GW event at NEC.  We have big gardening show in Kent where you can pick up all sorts of things.

I take my hat off to you because what you intend to do takes a lot of organising and a lot of commitment on top of working your lottie.  Very best of luck!  Please keep us updated on your progress.  Who knows, you may have started something that will grow elsewhere!
Muddy Boots

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 18:26:13 »
go for it - it sounds a wonderful idea.

contact Mike Brannigan - lottie officer for N.Tyneside and tell him Ceri the scaffolding woman sent you!

Seriously, N Tyneside has just been awarded £250k of grant money for new lotties and upgrading existing sites - Mike knows about grants etc.  If you PM me I'll e-mail you his e-mail addy (don't think he'd be too impressed if I threw it out publicly!)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 21:41:55 »
Ceri,

On our lottie site, at Hillheads, we don't have the basics ie toilet  :-\

does the grant cater for such mundane but totally necessary things?

Debs

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 21:58:50 »
Get the guys on your side and include building a barbecue?  You don't have to eat the burnt/raw offerings, but they might let a lot go by for the chance to show off their prowess?

I'm being cynical again - [wrists slapped][/wrists slapped]!

All best - Gavin

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:42:27 »
Debs - we're lacking in the loo dept as well.  When I did ask a committee member about the possiblities the answer seemed to be no on the basis that no-one would clean it!!!

I really don't know what's available - but I do think committee's and plot holders can go to Mr B to ask his advice about getting funding - he has always been very helpful.  I would guess the £250k has already been allotted (no pun intended!) but he's the man who knows!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 19:26:14 »
Thanks so much for all your comments.  MB, posters sound a good idea to brighten up the place as well as your other ideas.  Gavin, a bbq would be great, but somehow feel we are a long way off from something like that.  Ceri, will e-mail you seperately for Mike Brannigan's e-mail address.  I have heard of him, but never be in touch with him before, I will be sure to mention your name.  We don't have toilets either - I think apart from the expense, our committee members would probably shriek "vandals".

Is your allotment behind the White Horse Pub, Ceri?  We passed it on Saturday and my husband thought what an ideal location -  being able to pop in to the pub for a drink after your toils, and also having a toilet nearby. Will keep you posted how things progress.  Thanks once again for all your input. :D busy_lizzie

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 17:21:11 »
Any news on progress of your Little Lottie Shop legless, have you heard whether they will put in lectrics for you?   :D
Muddy Boots

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 10:22:53 »
Hi MB.  Have been in touch with the Allotment Officer, although his official title is something like, "The outdoor facilities officer" now.  He pointed me in the direction of the "Allotment Regeneration Initiative".  They give Grants out, though we missed the application for this year as it closed on 21st May.

It seems like quite a complicated process to apply for one, with a few stipulations like opening up facilities to the General Public. I have proposed "Electricity for the Shed" to be one of the points for  discussion when the Committee meet on the 21st June, so I will have to see what the general thoughts are then. It would open up the shed/shops use a great deal if we could get it. Thought your idea of a calor gas stove a good one if electicity is a "no go", as at least we could make tea's etc. We have a plant and seed swap shop, ever third Sunday in the month, and I would love to serve some sort of refreshment to make it a more sociable occasion.  

Thanks so much for your interest MB - will keep you informed of any major breakthroughs.  :D busy_lizzie

Ricky

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 10:24:43 »
Lottie shop is great idea! Have you thought about a small portable generator for electric??  ;) could rent it to other lottie owners for power tools, repair sheds...small plots using electric strimmers, shredding of garden waste etc etc... or solar panel with car battery for lighting shop. There is always the vandels >:( maybe working with council/police on low power CCTV, who knows.
Main thing...enjoy
Ricky
The allotment is like this planet, we are caretakers not owners :d

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 19:24:03 »
Your shop improvements sound great, presumably you already do something like group purchases of seed, compost etc?
I am most envious of your shop, our little site doesn't even have a toilet(so you do have to time your stays carefully!) Are allotment grants available to private sites as well as council do you know?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 14:51:40 »
Thanks for all your comments. Wish we had a toilet too. We order various gardening things from a local firm, it is mainly compost and fertilisers and the like, but we think the stock hasn't moved with the times, so we are rethinking what to have in stock.  jo2, if you look at www.cityfarm.org.uk/ari/index.html you will come to the Allotment Regeneration Initiative and you might get some tips from there.

You have come up with some good ideas, portable electricity generators sound interesting, and solar panels with car battery is an idea too.   :D busy_lizzie

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 09:57:40 »
A wind turbine would be a useful measure for providing leccy. Also a great talking point. Doesn't have to be expensive neither. I'm building one for my plot when i get it and have a working model made from salvaged parts found at the local dump. Coupled with a solar panel you can generate and store enough leccy to last well into the night.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 13:17:50 »
Trail rat, you and Jethro have a lot in common!! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 13:28:52 »
Thats what I was thinking DorisP.  Sound like Soul Mates don't they!

Wind Turbine sounds intriguing TrailRat, but do you not have to have planning permission?  :) busy_lizzie

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 13:31:20 »
judging by Jethros experience BL, you need very big bolts and a very solid shed! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 18:06:55 »
not sure about planning permission where you are but i was told as long as it don't need concreting into the ground i should be ok. But ask the neighbours. This was the only advice i was told.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 13:24:47 »
Had our Meeting last night. Bad timing as it was  in a Pub  in a room next door to the bar where the England Game was on the telly.  It was so frustrating to hear the cheers and shouts and not know what was happening.

Anyway, Received the message loud and clear "NO WAY ANY ELECTRICITY OF ANY SORT",  would be considered in the Shed, so the rest of the committee said.  :'(  Felt very deflated for a short while -  so it is back to the Drawing Board, wondering what they will allow us to change, if anything, in the Shop.  Sigh!  :( busy_lizzie  

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal