Author Topic: Raymond Blanc tastiest tomato test  (Read 7187 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Raymond Blanc tastiest tomato test
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 13:22:45 »
Hi

I might be intrested nearer the time :-)  thanks for the offer.

Personaly given global warming etc i would still go for having a try to plant things out of season...

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 19:02:59 »
Another new one to try?-grief,I can`t keep up. I don`t have room to grow them all every season so no yellow Brandywine this year but it`s a cracker

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 19:03:30 »
Which one?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 19:32:48 »
Somehow two of them are potato leaved and one is normal leaved. Is this normal?

Can`t speak for the variety mentioned but some `heritage` varieties do that-Brandywine for example-and Black Krimm

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 19:53:18 »
I meant which yellow brandywine is the cracker XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 20:17:13 »
Thanks Shades of course it's San Marzano - my memory isn't what it used to be!  I'm hoping they make lovely passata which is what I want them for. 

Jeannine how many different tomatoes are you growing this year?  I've got some new-to-me ones from the pass the parcel which I'm really looking forward to [think some of them may have originated from you]  but I am still growing some blight resistant as well ones just in case.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 20:31:04 »
I put  my first batch in their final place today,32 plants.2 each of 16 varieties.

Brandywine..the pink one
Cherokee Purple
Black
Amano Orange
Sungold
Shirley..not for me..for an old sweetie I know
Laroma
Big Beef
Tappy's Finest
Mortgage Lifter..the red one
Sungella
Ponderosa
Pocket Book
Couer  de Bleu
Colgar
Tumbler

I do have some others I have sown though

Yellow Brandwine..platfoot strain
Nyagous
Paul Robeson
Costoluto Genovese
BHN 589
Violaceum Krypni-Roza
Aussie
Japanese
Zapotec Pink Ribbed
Magnum
Chapman
Old German
Southern Nights

I still have a few others that I may put out that were sent to me recently but right now I am stuck for space in starter house. And I am hoping the Jap Triffele makes it in time. It isa new one to me,and a black which I adore trying

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 20:33:29 »
Which ones did you get in the swap? XX Jeannine

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2007, 20:53:20 »
;D hi Jeannine,

I don't think it will be to late grow Jap T , I sowed Paul Robeson,Carbon,Orange Russian, Blue Fruit,Yellow Brandywine..platfoot strain last week(thanks Jeannine!)
and they are up;

also sowed Black Cherry and Tommy Toe.. also up,

made a new raised bed at lottie as I now have far to many plants, but still sowing more ::) :P  :-X /shades x
grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 20:54:57 »
Hey Shades you've sown more of my new ones than I have XXXX Keep your fingers crossed,we did OK withe the carrotts.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 21:53:24 »
Jeannine,

I have started to harden off some of mine by putting them outside in the sun during the day, making sure they are sheltered from any breeze.  They all seem happy - except Big Beef, which wilts very quickly once outside, so I'm not putting those out any more just yet.

Is BB usually a bit of a wuss?  Or have I misunderstood, and is it not an outdoor variety?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 23:15:17 »
I always  grow it in the greenhouse here, I grew it outside in BC but the weather is warmer,not damp like here and the growing season is longer. If there is a good dry long summer I think it would be just fine. XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 00:13:10 »
i am really disapointed none of my chillis and tomatos have taken, i am going to give then one more week then try again.

:'(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 00:24:00 »
Cambourne have none of your toms come up at all,that is really odd.Which seeds did you use,were they old do you think or saved seed. XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 00:30:20 »
Hi

I planted 15 toms and 15 chillis along with 10 mixed herbs and flowers and 10 plants that inc pumpkins, squash and courgettes.

Only one of the flower/herbs has popped up.

I can only think that either i let them dry out or they have not had enough heat.

All the other plants ( ie stuff on other shelves and other trays on the same shelf) have popped up which is really strange!!

Cambourne7

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 00:34:44 »
Cambourne may I send you some new seeds, if you are goint to re plant let me send you some of my ones thst are hard to get here.Y ou can plant your own as well, might make up for the let down a wee bit if you have something new to play with. I will be arouns a while longer. XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 00:47:01 »
many thanks for the offer Jeannine, i think i have enough for another go :-)

If this lot fail then i will be back..

I know part of the problem is that there is no cover on my mini greenhouse, i have it wrapped in plastic sheeting but this is a little hit and miss. I am fed up trying to get homebase to get back to me about getting a new cover.

I think i am going to push forward with making my own mini greenhouse with the hard plastic i have and sow the seeds on the allotment.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 00:51:22 »
Can you not start them in the house in a wee propogator,it doesn't have to be heated, anyway think about it,PM me if you change your mind I have lots to choose from XX night night XX Jeannine

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 14:23:25 »
Thanks Angle Shades and Cleo. ;)

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 15:03:33 »
I have just checked my order with Baker Creek, they were back ordered but there was a note attached to what they did send saying shipping would be delayed by 2 weeks maximum. I got the order on Wednsday so they should be here in less than the two weeks. I ordered half an ounce of seeds so will have loads.

Cambourne, Anioleka trade under 2 names, I am very aware of them by the way, they are not to be trusted.Louise is right do not buy from them, (I will go offline and find the second name and post it too.)
        ]Anioleka and Roguelands are the same company
Baker Creek,on the other hand which is rareseeds.com are considered in the top 10 in the US and are a super company, I buy a lot of seeds from them and they have never once proved a problem to me. I have dealt with them for 9 years.I would recommend them very  very highly.

XX Jeannine

What is wrong with Roguelands?  I tried to order from them a month or so ago, they quoted me then never got back to me. I am thinking now I may have got away lightly!
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal