Author Topic: ideas for child-proofing waterbutt????!  (Read 1288 times)

clare

• Quarter Acre
  • If anyone wants me I'll be at my lottie!
ideas for child-proofing waterbutt????!
« on: April 22, 2007, 17:08:35 »
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for how to stop my toddler from letting all of the water out of my waterbutt?!  is there such a thing as a lock for the tap?

I suppose I could try surrounding the waterbutt with prickly plants or nettles but not sure that is going to go down too well!!!

Thanks, Clare

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: ideas for child-proofing waterbutt????!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 19:15:24 »
There a number of different types here;

http://tinyurl.com/2g22h5

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 00:07:13 »
Attach a hose to it with a jubilee clip and tie the other end up out of reach.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 00:39:56 »
If it has a screw end so you can attach a hose, get a dead end for it and put it on tight. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 16:16:16 »
If the tap handle is in line with the tap, you could try winding a strong elastic band around the whole thing. That is easy for an adult to get on and off but hard for small hands.
That's what I used to do with double cupboard doors - a thick elastic band around the two handles - you can only open it a wee bit then. You need eyes in the back of your head with a toddler!
I am sure I am telling you something you already know, but make sure too that there are no other nasty things hanging around the lottie like chemicals or sharp tools, they can be fun but also a dangerous place for a very small child. My 6 year old was running around with a seedling planter the other day, good thing to fatally stab yourself with.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal