Author Topic: Trying to get me an allotment...  (Read 855 times)

emilyreakes

• Not So New ...
Trying to get me an allotment...
« on: April 18, 2007, 17:18:11 »
Hi all,

I was just wondering if you know anything about allotment entitlement? I currently live in Southampton, and am wanting an allotment as soon as I can! I'm moving to Basingstoke in September and work near there now. Therefore I thought I'd put myself on a waiting list for one in Basingstoke. If I got it before the move, I'd have no problems getting to it regularly as I have a flexible job that will let me go there before or after work or even have long lunches/half-days! Plus it's not that far to travel for the weekends! ;D

Do you know if there'll be any problems with me applying for one in a different city to where I live? ??? Or does anyone know any way around it if there is a problem? I've tried contacting the council, but no answer yet..

Or do I have to wait until I move before I can put myself on the list?  :'(

Cheers  Em.

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Trying to get me an allotment...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 16:46:48 »
Welcome to A4all!

Try this link, it looks useful:

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/leisure/outdoors/allotments.htm

Good luck!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 16:56:29 »
Hiya Em,

Best thing to do is invest some time in talking to the council contacts and if you can, visit the sites and ask around.

Sites can be run by the parish & private groups as well as the council so you may here of other sites and the people on the plots should be able to give you some intelligence about getting to chat in person with the person who runs the site /allocates plots.

There seems to be a lot of variations on policy as they're usually set locally.  If there are lots of plots free it should be easy to get one if you don't live locally & if there are few available, preference is usually given to people living locally, but there are always exceptions.

My advice is to talk to the allotments secretary in person if possible & build a relationship with them, so they know you are keen and serious about moving to the area.

I popped in regularly & used to chat to the secretary & although I'm still on the waiting list for a full plot ( not quite at the top) , I've got a temp share of a chap's plot until he retires and has time to do both of his.  Came about by showing interest &  being more than a name on a list.

Good luck.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

emilyreakes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 18:48:03 »
I've just had a response via email and they seem to be happy to have me on the waiting list! ;D ;D ;D ;D

I guess it's just a waiting game now..
I might make a trip to the allotment tomorrow to say hi!

emilyreakes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 11:53:05 »
 ;D ;D ;DI got confirmation that I'm number 2 on the waiting list through the post this morning.  ::)(wonders how long it will take) ::)

I've just recieved a seed catalogue so I can start reading up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal