Author Topic: Roundup advice, please?  (Read 2371 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Roundup advice, please?
« on: May 21, 2004, 16:18:47 »
Much said about the stuff, but no pointers to timing.

Daughter treated a HEDGE of ground elder last Sunday - no visible effect as yet. Should there be?

When I've used it, I seem to recall wilting within a few days?

Is there any mileage in re-spraying now?  The Monsanto adviser had gone home before 4pm! = Tim

HO,HO! Just found her bottle - 2-4 weeks it says! And it's the wrong time to spray, anyway!! = Tim
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 16:28:40 by tim »

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re:Roundup advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 17:02:17 »
and sometimes Tim it is advisable to crush the foliage so that the roundup is better absorbed and doesn't just run off.

A hedge of elder might require beating with a big stick to achieve this!
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 18:24:01 »
He,He - or Ha, Ha as some would say - I'll get her two boys to have a bash with their swords!! = Tim

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 20:48:52 »
As long as there was plenty of leaf on the elder and it didn't rain within 6 hours of applying Roundup ..It will kill it but it may take a week or 2 before you see the efect ... ;)
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 19:34:39 »
hello, noo face - you've read the label? Many don't!! And now they say don't spray till it has flowers.

Much evidence building up about the possible accumulative dangers of glyphosphates. Where next?? = Tim

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 21:07:37 »
Typical me, forgot me specs when went shopping and trying to see whether roundup is basically posh version of glyphosphate.  The price differential was considerable.

However, since print on gardening stuff seems to be more miniscule than miniscule, couldn't compare ingredients! Amazing, when buying food can read it all quite easily.  Are they trying to tell me that gardeners couldn't care less about what they buy or are they just hoping?  Can someone please enlighten me.

Just need a little for bramble, bind weed and ivy entrenched in wall, so just want to treat leaves to kill root.

:D
Muddy Boots

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 20:38:59 »
Hi Tim,
           Don't get mine in bottles get it in 5 litre cans.  It says it is ok if it rains in 1 to 2 hours after application but I have found this can reduce effectiveness  ..
As to muddy boots question is it just glyphosphate?...
  Active ingredient is 41% glyphosphate isopropylamine salt.
IT also has an active ingredient that makes it stick to the leaves so bush bashing might not be needed .lol
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 08:22:31 »
A little grist to the mill? Finally got hold of the 'horse' - so have it from his mouth.

The stuff is over a foot high. No flowers yet. Asked if I should re-spray if no sign of collapse in 2 weeks. The label says 'best time is when flowering'. No - strim it, allow 3-4" re-growth & then treat again @ 40ml/litre. = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal