Author Topic: Cultivating dry ground  (Read 1228 times)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
Cultivating dry ground
« on: April 22, 2007, 20:39:29 »
With a rush of enthusiasm I've been having a go at the garden this weekend. I live in rented but do have permission to get rid of a patch of bamboo and a couple of trees and some odd triffid like creation that drips sap everywhere.

I have cleared a patch that had been covered with random garden waste so is great for digging now but where the bamboo and trees are the ground is very very dry. I have access to horse manure but no other compost material. Would I be better off waiting till it rains before trying to dig the ground over after digging the plants out?
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Cultivating dry ground
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 21:15:42 »
Just had a similar problem today, OH for the FIRST time decided to dig a bed :o :o  I think he is having a mid life crisis or summit, but the ground was dry as a bone....so.......  we bought some compost and have dug that in cos we have nought else.....time will tell!
I plan to put everything I can get my hands on into it, homemade compost, manure, and all that good stuff, anything that will enrich the soil really.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 21:43:20 »
I think it depends what type of soil you have - if it's baked hard clay it might be better to wait -or hire a pnumatic drill  :).  If you can dig it I would as it's getting a bit late & you want to get stuff planted.  The manure will help & water anything you plant in well.  Good luck.

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:40:28 »
I was going to say that I didn't intend on planting very much in the garden but I have been offered some squash plants from seed I saved (gave them to a friend at work) so they can go in the area that is okay.

The garden swings from desert in summer to swamp in winter, not sure what type of soil, not clay but nothing has been done to a lot of it for well over 5 years especially where the bamboo is and under the trees as they are very bushy. I was told when I moved in not to do anything as the landlady wanted to keep the plants but when she came round and saw them a few months ago she agreed that they all really needed to go ( :) ) I have maintained but done nothing else and the lot needs an overhaul.

Plot 24A
My Blog

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:05:57 »
You can't!!  I've been waiting a month for rain to soften these clods so that the Mountfield can break them up.

Another plot I watered for a day to achieve the same - at a cost - we're metered.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 20:20:19 »
clay will be baked hard as will light soil so as Tim says - You cant!

I went up tonight for our photo shoot with the local rag about our allotment plea... thought i might beable to put the last of my spuds in but NO chance - the drizzle has done nothing under 3mm of soil so I shall pray for a couple of days good rain.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 20:43:14 »
Quote; so is great for digging now; then get your manure now, then when the rains come the manure will soak it up!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 21:28:50 »
I took on a new plot at the beginning of Feb - rained and snowed for several weeks so the ground was too wet to dig. Managed a good two weeks in the beginning of April and got several beds dug - but now the rest is too  dry........and I have found the horsetail I was warned about.

So I would agree with the rest of the advice given - it's not the right time to dig now - wait until the soil softens again after a couple of days of good drizzle.

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 21:30:09 »
My plans have been foiled, I was talking to my friend about going up to see her horse and getting some manure when she mentioned that she would have to 'pick' the field which means it will be fresh not rotted.

I will buy some from the stables but was a bit gutted that I can't use my free gift for a while as there is no point getting any till I have a plot I can store it on.

On the plus side though I was in Asda today and they have said I can have all the black buckets I can carry,  every cloud and all that :)

Plot 24A
My Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal