Author Topic: Enough bulbs to rival Holland!  (Read 1873 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Enough bulbs to rival Holland!
« on: April 18, 2007, 00:07:25 »
I went to one of the gardens I tend today and the owner has decided that he no longer wants bulbs in his garden.  They feel they are messy and so short and sweet that they were all destined for the bin.  The boot of my car resembles a bin so home they came - 2 black bin liners full.  Daffs, hyacinths, bluebells, snowdrops, snowflakes, grape hyacinths, tulips, alliums, crocus and some little blue ones that I don't know!  Now to get them all in at home.  Going to keep me busy, but hopefully come spring 2008 my garden is going to be very colourful.  ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Enough bulbs to rival Holland!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 22:53:19 »
I think the 'little blue ones' may be scillas.

The only word of caution I would give is with regard to bluebells, grape hyacinths and alliums.  Beautiful as they are, they can be very invasive.

valmarg

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 23:03:12 »
..the owner has decided that he no longer wants bulbs in his garden. ..

Nice for you EJ, but just wondered what they are going to have for colour in the spring instead?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 23:31:03 »
I don't know Jen.  They do have a selection of spring flowering shrubs, and they do love their annual bedding, so lots of winter pansys and primulas I guess.  It is a shame, but not for me!  ;D

Thanks for that Valmarg.  I love bulbs and they can be as invasive as they like in our garden.  I already have bluebells and alliums so the more the merrier.  I also have a new patch of garden out the front of the house which I can pack full of bulbs to lift the spirit come spring.  :)

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:45:52 »
Ooh, jealous. I can never have enough bulbs - been particularly impressed with the mini-daff 'Pipit' this year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal