Author Topic: Help please; what should I do?  (Read 2476 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Help please; what should I do?
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:05:04 »
I will be away for a week in mid May and am wondering what to do with my greenhouse to give the hundreds or so plants that I have in there the best chance of survival.   

I have automatic vents and watering system.  If I leave the door open it could be too cold at night.  On the other hand, without the door open it could be too hot during the day.  I have no shading up but have a really large roll of fleece that I could use.

If I covered the plants with one layer of fleece and left it on for a week would the plants survive?  I could then leave the door open knowing that they were tucked away under the fleece.  The watering system sprays the water on top so would it go through the fleece? 

What would you do please to give the plants the best chance of survival?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Help please; what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:56:45 »
 Are they veg? Fleece & open door I reckon. But I don't like the idea of overhead watering - doesn't get where it should? Presumably timed so that it's not on at night?

Added to which no, I do not believe that it would satisfactorily penetrate the fleece.
Could you not arrange a capillary system?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:18:53 »
Thanks for your reply Tim.  I have about 250 tomato plants plus aubs, chillies, peppers, cues and Cape gooseberry seedlings.   I also have pots with seeds of squash, runner beans, French beans, peas and bedding plants which have been planted this weekend. 

The timer allows me to set the watering times up to 4 times in 24 hours.  I think I may have to buy some capillary matting from what you suggest.  If I dispense with the sprinklers, would a seep hose give sufficient water and would I have to have it running all the time to ensure it gives adequate water?  I may have to divide the main hose and have two seep hoses coming off it as some of the plants are on the ground whereas others are on staging.   

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 18:24:11 »
Could you not lay the fleece over the outside of the greenhouse to give shade and nightime cuddles? 

If it's on the outside, the glass won't get so hot during the day from the sun and the sprinkler can still do it's job inside too. 

I think it would be ok to leave the door open at night by mid May or if you've got enough fleece, maybe cover the doorway with it too?

Have a nice time anyway wherever you're going!
Donna.
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 19:23:22 »
Thanks for your reply Donna.  The fleece would probably blow away where I live as we get strong winds on the edge of Salisbury Plain.  I notice some of my plants have green mould on the soil around them so perhaps the idea of watering them from beneath onto capilliary matting might prevent this.  I have estimated that I will need about 10 metres of .6m matting so when I have some spare time later this evening I will check the suppliers to see who can offer it at the cheapest price.  I will also ring up some garden centres tomorrow as I won't have to pay postage.  We don't normally go away as early as May so the problem hasn't arisen before.  We are going to Newton Abbot in Devon.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 21:34:44 »
Isn't there a neighbour or friend who could close the door if the forecast is for a cold night?

Tricia

btw I'm just down the road from Newton Abbot - in Paignton  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 21:50:49 »
 Pauline   Which ever method you decide on hope it works for you. Have a great holiday in May
I will also be that way with middle daughter and family on 2nd June also going to spend couple of days in Paignton with Charlie's nephew.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 23:11:09 »
Lidls had soaker hose on Thursday - £3.99 for 15m.  HAve a good hols.  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:45:41 »
Lidls had soaker hose on Thursday - £3.99 for 15m.  HAve a good hols.  :)

Wow!  I have just paid £9.99 for one to run along a new flower bed.  I will have to get down to Lidl.   ;D ;D

Isn't there a neighbour or friend who could close the door if the forecast is for a cold night?

My son will be here but he is unreliable and hasn't a clue about gardening or weather etc.  My neighbours are quite a way from me and they are either elderly or out at work.  It's not as if I have someone right next door.

Pauline   Which ever method you decide on hope it works for you. Have a great holiday in May
I will also be that way with middle daughter and family on 2nd June also going to spend couple of days in Paignton with Charlie's nephew.

Have a good holiday Lorna.   ;D

Thanks everyone for your replies.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:48:51 by Paulines7 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal