Author Topic: LEATHERJACKETS!!!!!!! HELP!!!  (Read 5513 times)

SueLawn

• Not So New ...
Re: LEATHERJACKETS!!!!!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 21:23:46 »
Hmmm, we have leatherjackets!
I have been finding them under the plant pots, and under the compost bags, I am new to this and didn't know what they were. I have been putting them in the compost bin, becasue I can't bare to squish them, either that or the wheely bin!!
We have just got an allotment (yesterday) and I am finding them there as well.
Our back lawn is slowly dying from the outside edges inwards, we are blaming it on drainage, but after reading this I am not sure.
I have a photo of the grass in Jan, and it looks fine, but now, we just have crusty bare earth. Out the front the lawn has disappeared and we have moss!
Our house is only 3 yrs old, and part of a new development, all teh neighbours are complaining about their grass too, and say it is down to drainage.
Sue

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 12:59:13 »
i've been on to our landlords but as is isn't drainage they don't care. I'm thinking there will be lots of builders rubble under the probably very thin soil.
The ground is rock hard and nearly all the grass is gone. Can i give it all a really good water and reseed? Help please as i don't want to go through the summer like this!  :-[
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 13:24:08 »
I found this and though it might be helpful

http://www.garden-care.org.uk/hot_press.asp

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 19:00:54 »
Green Gardener suggesttreating bad infestations  now and in Sept . Just ordered a special deal were I get one treatment of nematodes now and nother sent in September so I won't forget(and it works out cheaper
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 19:10:25 by Plum »

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 22:16:18 »
Well at long last we've killed the leather jackets Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!! ;D Ended up have lawn care people out cos after trying covering with plastic and using breadcrumbs etc AND using the Pravado stuff we STILL couldn't get rid of them all!!!!!!!!!! Anyway the lawn guy sprayed the lawn and the day after the little b****ers came to the surface and died - YIP PEE!!! I think our local birds thought it was Christmas bless 'em they had a field day eating 3 & 4 at once. At one point we must had have more than 20 starlings on the front lawn and it's not very big. Fingers crossed the grass will start to grow back now we've got rid. I've even bought a fly swotter from Ikea to kill any daddy long legs I see!!

Anyway thanks again everyone for your advice.
Lisa x

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 22:57:36 »
**@@##*!!!!! ???
                               I was very happily sowing veg seeds all day today,
came on here tonight and seen what leather jackets look like :o
           I've been looking at these all soddin day and didn't know what they
were >:(
                Does this mean all my veg are going to be ate before I even get a
look in?   :'(
                This is enough to make me turn to football  :P
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 14:25:21 »
Well they attacked my lettuce and beetroot. Whole set of modules worth gone. So answer is I'm afraid yes. Last year lost courgette as well

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 19:05:26 »
If There In Your Lawn agood way to get rid of them is to cover a area with black plastic over night , in the Morn get up uncover and you will see them all on top of lawn !

Either pick um out or Leave for thje Birds  :D
i don't belive death is the end

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 19:50:35 »
Anyway the lawn guy sprayed the lawn and the day after the little b****ers came to the surface and died - YIP PEE!!! I think our local birds thought it was Christmas bless 'em they had a field day eating 3 & 4 at once.

Hope the spray wasnt poisonous for the birds!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 19:53:44 »
Graceland,
Just wondering if you are the same one as on the Gloucestershire message boards, probably not, but thought I's ask anyway!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal