Author Topic: Been offered a bigger greenhouse  (Read 2259 times)

Teej

• Quarter Acre
Been offered a bigger greenhouse
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:55:18 »
Really stupid query but just after a few comments/thoughts really!
Does having a 6x8 greenhouse make a huge difference compared to a 4X6?  Told you it was stupid!
Basically we don't have a huge garden & I currently have a 4x6 greenhouse - it's overflowing every year, but I think even if I had a 14X16 it would still be overflowing!  We've been offered a 6X8 - it should fit where the existing one is & take up an extra 18" or so at the side & front (there is a gap between the existing one & the fence/hedge so we could shove the new one into the corner a bit more).
I need to decide whether losing that bit of planting area & having the greenhouse dominating the end of the garden is worth it in terms of the extra space in the greenhouse.  I like the garden to look nice but much prefer growing my veggies etc than flowers so would definitely benefit from the larger greenhouse.  I was going to grow some of my cukes & melons in coldframes but a bigger greenhouse would mean I wouldn't have to do that so more space for my beans, courgettes, caulis.
Re-reading this it looks like I've already decided!  I just don't want to switch greenhouses & end up regretting it as there would be no turning back then!
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
 :)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Been offered a bigger greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 11:22:36 »
Personally, I would go for the bigger g/house. My 8x6 is not big enough.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:31:22 »
Think you have answered your own question ... :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 18:37:20 »
My Dad told us to go for the biggest greenhouse that you have room for, we now have a 8x6!
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:25:38 »
I started off with a 6' x 6' and soon got another 8' x 6' and I'm running out of room again already.

On saying that, I know there are peeps out there who are quite happy with their ickle ones (eh Lishka?).

If I had my way, I'd just put a glass canopy over the whole garden !   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 08:13:10 »
Go for it! We've got a 6 by 8 at home and an 8 by 8 at the plot (plus an 8 foot lean-to and an assortment of frames). They are all full!

Pity you haven't got room for both!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:16:28 »

On saying that, I know there are peeps out there who are quite happy with their ickle ones (eh Lishka?).

I'm happy with it cos I was given it KP......if I'd have been given a bigger one I'd still have been happy....if I was offered a 6X8 I'd be delirious ::) - and planning a way of making the two into an L-shaped structure in the garden 8)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:51:36 »
id go for it and still keep the 6x4

Teej

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 08:55:16 »
Thanks for your comments - I think I had made my mind up really but I just needed a final push!  We just need to see the people who are getting rid of it & decide when's the best time to get it - hope they've not thought better of it now.  We also need to make the base bigger to accommodate the new one.
(I know somebody who MAY want my current one - if not then I'll post on here & see if anyone would like it.)
The first thing that OH said when it was offered was "no, you can't have both & no you can't move my shed"!  (We have a shed each - my gardening one & his ladders/tools & whatever else boys have in sheds!)
Quite excited now!!
 ;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:12:41 »
If they are the same shape it's quite easy to take the back out of one and the front out of the other and join them.  Then he can't say you have 2  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:14:44 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal