Author Topic: second hand greenhouse  (Read 5455 times)

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
second hand greenhouse
« on: April 01, 2007, 16:09:01 »
please help. i was given an 8 by 8 greenhouse on freecycle and the lovely lady dismantled it for me before i collected it. BUT now i have no idea how it fits together!!
any ideas where i can get any instructions from?

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
Re: second hand greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 19:36:40 »
Even if you had instructions I doubt it would make this task any easier, I had enough trouble putting a computer cabinet together ??? ;).
Its going to be a job that will take patience, and a bit of luck . :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 22:14:47 »
Did she dismantle it completely or do you have two ends and to sides? I have just
put up one which had been dismantled to the ends and sides. It went very well until we realized that there was something missing from the bottom of the door - so we went round all the allotment site looking at green house doors  -and found out what we needed to do - ie make our own version of the door stop. Are you on allotment site with other greenhouses you can look at - it might help, esp if you find a helpful expert in the process!

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 22:19:03 »
Dismantled and re-erected a greenhouse last year.Think i have photo's we took before dismanteling of the various joits if you need them!

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 22:25:35 »
that would be great thanks

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:57:44 »
Put up a few and they are all basically the same.

Easiest thing to do is find an area you can spread the greenhouse out on and assemble the obvious parts eg the base, apex and ends with the door etc (look for chunkier angled pieces for the corners)
Once you have done this there will be less parts available so it should be less confusing. If it is an 8x8 there should be 6 identical pieces for the roof and 6 identical pieces for the sides and one obvious 8' roof piece. Put these all to one side and the job should now be easier. As said earlier look at someone elses greenhouse to have a clue where the angled support go etc. Do not clean the metal as there will be marks on the frame that will aid assembly.

Finally you will probably have to undo quite a few bits of the frame as you build it so dont overtighten the bolts until in the final position - they snap very easily.

Good luck glow

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:01:26 »
hi it was completely disassembled when we picked it up. so i have no idea what it looks like. they bought a bigger one and took it down to build the new one. but the new one they have is a wooden one (it was amazing-greenhouse envy!) so i couldn't even take the instructions for that.
i guess i'll have to inspect someone elses to get a general idea of how it goes together.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:50:55 »
Pop down the garden centre and take a few pictures of the greenhouses on show from different angles...might help
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:27:29 »
Ask the lady if she had any photo's of greenhouse before dismantling, she is bound to have some, then start from pieces that you recognise from photo, the rest should be like a jigsaw puzzle, good luck

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 20:31:23 »
i've still got instructions for a Hall's  8' x 6'.  Wouldn't be entirely the same but it might help identify some parts.

If you want a copy just pm me.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 21:22:58 »
It's good to read this, I have just won a greenhouse on ebay!!
We will be going to dismantle/collect it sometimes this week, so I must remember to take my camera and make notes on how it goes together! Its a 8x6ft.
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 22:10:34 »
There are a couple of really good threads way back.  Use the search button and see what you can see.  Top tip stack the glass like /////////////.  Saves breakages apparently.

Good luck and have great fun !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 18:13:28 »
Glass stacked as you recommended, in sets of 4 and 6, all labelled and taped together.
The frame went together well, but we broke a lot of the aluminium screw/bolt things.
The glass willl go in when we have bought trellis, we are going to put it about a foot away from the greenhouse, between teh greenhouse and lawn, to stop the children running into it, or kicking a ball at it!
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 06:47:23 »
good idea ! 

Children, lawns and balls ... works of the devil !

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal