Author Topic: Soft hands!  (Read 1095 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Soft hands!
« on: April 16, 2007, 22:13:46 »
How many blisters have we got then? 

Planted out seedlings at the weekend and now have "trowel handle palm blister syndrome"   :(

Next spring put BIG plaster on palm under gardening gloves.  ::)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Soft hands!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 22:17:43 »
No blisters here, but my hands look like they belong to someone who is 110!
Hand cream on before bed tonight! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 22:39:16 »
So do mine but I feel 110...
 ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 23:35:55 »
My hands have been horrid for years.  From my Saturday job in the hairdressers washing hair and rinsing perms, to gardening.  My nails are short and brittle, I have calluses on my hands, especially where my rings are as they dig in, and I have permanent dark staining on my first fingers and thumbs.  The only time my hands are really clean is if I bleach them (eek) or after 2 weeks on holiday on the beach.  The sand scrubs them clean whilst the salt water bleaches them.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 23:41:53 »
 ;D  The female side of our family were not blessed with nice hands and mine are awful.  After a few minutes gardening they are rough and my nails are black with good honest soil  which doesn't come out even after washing.  Nails break straight across but who cares.   I like getting them dirty.  My feet are worse....  ;D ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 18:37:26 »
oh emma jane isn,t it a pain when hands get stained like that i,v always been a hands on person and did ceramics for 16 years the skin surface goes and every thing gets ingrained , i tend to tuck fingers out of site as people think you don,t wash them when you have scrubbed and scrubbed :-[
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 21:14:45 »
Mine have been rough for years, a good dousing of E45 cream sometimes helps.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

laikadog

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 21:16:18 »
green elder ointment is good for your hands, we made some and my mum thought it was fantastic,
cant remember the recipe tho,
it was something like 3 parts elder leaves, 1 part,comfrey leaves, loads of lavender heads, stewed in a couple of blocks of solid veg oil , strained,then potted in jam jars, lasted for months ;D

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:11:16 »
I'm careful to always put sunblock on my hands, a habit from cycling. Considering I'm now gardening and am usually scrubbing paint off my hands mine are pretty good. I use Burt's Bees almond cream but even use vaseline if need be on bad days. (Or Badger Healing Balm is good too - in a little tin, no petroleum.) Someone here mentioned sugar soap with olive oil somewhere? And finally, taking flax oil capsules - I introduced it to my mum a couple years ago and she now swears by it! She actually had cracking skin on her hands, no longer. :)

Tina.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 18:57:41 »
even when I wear gloves my hands are so rough after I've been to the lottie - and how does mud get under your nails when you wear gloves ?? one of lifes mysteries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal