Author Topic: fatsia japonica questions  (Read 2175 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
fatsia japonica questions
« on: April 13, 2007, 18:09:16 »
This started life as a little pot plant long,long ago - in fact I think it was called Aralia Sieboldii back then! It's been outside for 7/8 years but this is the first time it's produced ripe seeds. There are about eight branches all absolutely weighed down with them! Should I just hack the whole branches off where they start to bend? Do you think the seed would be viable and if so any tips on germinating them? Most importantly, are they poisonous? (They smell quite 'fruity' when handled - a little bit like blackcurrants.)

Thanks very much  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: fatsia japonica questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:44:59 »
Never seen seeds on ours before so this is what the book says rather than personal experience. Sow the seeds in April in gentle heat.. There are no special requirements.
As to toxicity, no mention is made.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:58:47 »
Thanks ever so much, Palustris. My book doesn't even mention them setting seed. I think, as yours does, it would have stated if they were poisonous/harmful, so that's good news.  I have a propagator, so will see if I can germinate some. Thanks again.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 13:19:30 »
Found this ,
 (aralia sieboldii) bold; shiny leathery ... shiny, thick leaves and edible purplish red to yellow 1-inch fruit. approx. ...
www.textfiles.com/food/seeds42.txt - 13k - Supplemental Result -

If your still not sure if it's edible, try it on Hubby  ;)
Read, when planted on North side of house in Japan keeps evil spirits away.

PetenGade, from your neck of the woods
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 13:23:27 by petengade »

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 22:27:46 »
I never bother to remove the seeds because as they blacken, the plant starts to shove growing heads that look like dead fingers above the seeds which seem to disappear, presumably dropping off or being eaten.

If you google fatsia it looks as if they are edible, and they will grow if planted.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 00:52:25 »
Thanks very much Petengade and allabout  :)  Not sure about eating them - perhaps I ought to ask for fatsia recipes in the appropriate section! I wonder if I should put a few on the bird table? (Miners and canaries come to mind for some reason.) The bunches of seeds have already begun dropping off so I'll be looking out for the dead man's fingers! Have planted some seeds in the propagator - if any grow I'll plant one on the north side of my house and hope it keeps all those baddies away  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal