Author Topic: who wants to play the weed quiz??  (Read 1289 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
who wants to play the weed quiz??
« on: April 17, 2007, 13:48:12 »
I posted some pics of my 'orriblest weeds on my blog - can anyone tell me what they are?
http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

For those who have been advising me on the "tidy up lottie quickly" question, you will see my messy lottie on the blog too, give you an idea of the scale of the disaster  :P
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: who wants to play the weed quiz??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 13:56:27 »
The 3rd one is groundsel. 4th one some sort of violet. Don't know names of the others, but I have the 2nd one too and the guinea pigs love it!

Do I get 1/2 a Mars bar  :D?

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 14:22:02 »
Hi
I think they are:   bindweed, sowthistle, groundsel and wild pansy (sometimes called 'Johnny Jump up' because it seeds itself everywhere - I have this on my lottie too and have an area for 'nice' wild flowers/weeds so when it appears in the wrong place, it gets moved there)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 14:24:32 »
i think the first one look like bindweed i have it on mine and it is a pain in the butt. your plot doesnt loook so bad, its about the same as mine really.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 14:27:44 »
Yes, I wondered if the 1st one was bindweed. I have bindweed myself but it's a different type (the one with white flowers and heart shaped leaves). Don't know which one is the evil-est >:(!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 14:57:20 »
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!
You mean to say I have BINDWEED on my lot???
I thought it was that other thing with the tendrils and the white flowers??? This seemd different to me. It has no flowers and just seems to creep along.
OMG how am I going to get rid of that? Especially as it seems to be creeping steadfastly over a lot of ground???
Thanks for the Johnny Jump Up ID - I kinda like it, but can it be a pest? It seems to pull up fairly easily.
What about the other things? The thistles? Just dig and pull?
Sending 1/2 a virtual mars bar to Dandelion then ;) Wish I had guinea pigs, I could just let them loose on it maybe?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Leopoldo

• Not So New ...
  • nr Sudbury, Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 18:23:22 »
That's definitely field bindweed Convolvulus arvensis I beleive. Get rid of it before its pretty flowers seduce you and then cause seed spread hell.

And hello btw. I'm a newb.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 20:51:52 »
First one is bindweed paininthearsos, second is sow thistle pricklybloodybuggerous, the third is groundsel stamponthelittleshitos and the fourth if I'm not mistaken is pansy apoxypainious, well that's the Latin names for them.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 20:53:48 »
 ;D

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 22:44:04 »

Cornykev, I want to learn Latin! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 23:13:14 »
Hi again

In my opinion the wild pansy 'Johnny jump up' isn't a pest at all even though seedlings appear all over the place on my lottie.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:05:01 »
Actually I like the Johnny Jump Ups! They are awfully pretty and to tell you the truth in places where they have been in the way, they just pull up. So I have left them where they are, mostly in the herb bed and where I planted the flowers. I can't see them wreaking terrible havoc on the crops.
Thank you to everyone who pointed out that I have bindweed. I went around this morning and pulled out a whole bunch of it, I will have to attack it in earnest now and try and at least stop it spreading. For now it is very small but I am sure it won't stay that way for long. I will just keep cutting its tops off everytime I see it.
I had a good suggestion from someone - put it in a bucket of water and seal it, it will turn into liquid fertiliser when it rots down. I just put it in a bin bag and left it in full sun - Burn in hell you *%$!!*& !!!!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 10:53:03 »
continuing the bindweed debate:
I feel I may have located the true nature of this weed:
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=26
It looks more like this than a true bindweed. It's called black bindweed apparently.
Any ideas about this? :-[

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 11:10:43 »
Hiya, first one is bindweed seedlings going for it, yellow one looks a bit like ragwort to me, not sure about the other, pretty though i agree. See how prolific it is and if it's not too much of a speader you could keep some.  8)
Love your blog, made me laugh!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal