Author Topic: Outdoor Strawberries in Flower  (Read 906 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Outdoor Strawberries in Flower
« on: April 20, 2007, 16:28:53 »
Have I torn too many pages off my 2007 Calendar .... it feels and looks like June/July

Outdoor Strawberries are flowering.
Cambridge favourite, which has been in the ground all Winter, just forming buds. Some runners from these same plants where potted up in November and others in February, they are in flower.

Elsanta (swapped with a friend a few weeks ago) are also in flower.

Although we keep getting threatened with a Frost forecast, still no sign around here:
Saturday day 19C night 10C
Sunday 21C and 10C
Monday 17C and 11C
Tuesday 16C and 4C

What to do .... if the Frost does come will it kill off the flowers, will the plant survive to flower later (say in June/July), would it help the plant to pinch out the present flowers.

Have to say all plants look very healthy, but I have never had flowers this early except when growing a few plants in the Greenhouse.

Comments / suggestions please
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Re: Outdoor Strawberries in Flower
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 16:42:07 »
Mine are also in flower and I am watching the weather carefully, if frost is expected they will covering quickly
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 16:49:34 »
yep, fleece on standby, and cream, of course  ;D

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 16:57:43 »
yep, fleece on standby, and cream, of course  ;D

Aaaaaaaaah .... is that Cream to put on the Strawberries before eating

or ....... Cream to put on because the Sun is so hot

or ....... Cream (normally used to eat with Strawberries) to put on and then .......  Noooooooo  we will not go there  ;) ;D 
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 17:02:43 »
well, two out of the three (and I'm not saying which two)  ;D..but I like strawberries and cream and I burn like ***
 ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:01:57 »
I inherited 2 strawberry beds when I got the allotment. One large, one small.No idea if the varieties are the same or not. I enclosed the small bed with bricks and covered with an old glass shower screen. It is like a cold frame around it. They have grown so well and have realy big flowers. the other bed which has been left open is not doing so well but I think it is a well established bed so think it will be okay in the long run. There are just a few small flowers on them. I have an old patio door. Very heavy so wouldnt want to have to lift it up on a regular basis but I was thinking, if I propped it up on a few bricks at each corner and put it over part of the huge strawberry bed, would it benefit the crop?? I could possible water them from the edges with the hose pipe.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal