Author Topic: Asbestos...help!  (Read 1532 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Asbestos...help!
« on: July 02, 2007, 19:15:49 »
I have just started clearing a new plot.  I am approximately half way down and i have been told by the plotholder next to me that there is asbestos at the back of the plot.  I have rang the previous plot holder who states he knew about this and it was him that collected the pieces up (some of them broken) from around the plot and put them altogether at the back of the plot.

I have rang my allotment society and they said straight away they will collect it, but i am so so worried about growing my crops there in case it has asbestos in the soil.  I have children and it is really scaring me...pls can anyone give advice or tell me who to ring for advice.  I live in Leicester.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Asbestos...help!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 19:59:37 »
I`m no expert and do get advice but as far as I know it`s the fibres/dust over a period of time that leads to nasty illnesses-be concerned but don`t panic

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 20:44:57 »
is it the corrugated stuff they used to use on buildings(sheds etc)
 If it is it will be ok,but i think you will still have to dispose of it carefully,it mite pay to contact coouncil.But they will prob go over the top

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 21:21:27 »
Kippers...first off dont panic...the word asbestos puts all sorts of needless fears into peoples mind ...are you sure its asbestos...there is a product on the market that looks identical to the original sheeting that was used years ago and the only way to tell is the new product has an 'A' stamped on the ends....normally the sort of asbestos contained in this type of sheeting was low level material...normally known as white asbestos or chrysotile

that aside your wise to be careful...the amount of rain we have had recently will ensure the sheets are sufficiently damp to eliminate any fibre release....if you need to move it asap then get some plastic bags (not carrier) and place the pieces into them, seal the top with some tape and put them to one side

if there is any ground contamination it shouldn't harm the product or anyone eating it...if it goes in one end it ususally comes out the other.....

if you want to get further advice contact your local environmental health dept at the council...their usually quite helpful

I've worked with the stuff for twenty years and theres nothing wrong with me......despite what the wife says!!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:52:25 »
Any time asbestos is found on my site, the Council gets it dealt with. It's not a threat unless you're actually breathing the dust, and you can work out for yourself the likelihood of that in the open air, when it's just lying there. Even in an enclosed space, it only becomes a threat when it's being cut or drilled.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:39:32 »
I have an asbestos shed on my allotment. I assume that is okay. It was there when I took over the plot. there is also a lot of corrugated asbestos roofing which makes up the sides of my compost heaps. Should I be worried????

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:53:00 »
Not unless you're going to start sawing it or drilling it. Wear a mask if you do.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 10:57:43 »
Definitely is a worry.  I had to dig up three large sheets that the previous allotment holder had used to edge his compost bin.  I was careful not to break if and I have kept it wet but the council will deal with it.
Jack's in the Green.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 13:48:52 »
I sent an email yesterday to the Asbestos Information Centre and i have received the following reply:-

Dear Lisa

Do not be concerned, the product will be asbestos cement and so only contain 10 to 12% asbestos, with that asbestos bonded into the cement matrix, no doubt little will have been released. Asbestos is a naturally occurring substance, so some asbestos fibres are naturally liberated into the atmosphere.  Everybody is exposed to some asbestos fibres at all times, whether working under an asbestos cement roof, playing in the local park or sailing across the ocean. At the very low natural levels they do not cause a danger, they become dangerous when the level of free fibres is increased by the inappropriate use by man.

Any fibres released by this pile of old sheets will have blown away on the wind and so you should have no worries about using the allotment, Asbestos does not cause an illness when it is imbibed, it is only dangerous when it is breathed in in large quantities, which will not be the case here.

Regards
Tony Hutchinson
Director General
Asbestos Information Centre Ltd

I feel like i can stop panicking after this and all your replies....thank you so much everyone!
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 16:12:22 »
My FIL worked for BR ELectrical in York... drilling and sawing inside carriages... you don't need to be too smart to work that one out.
Councils are very good at removing the stuff.
 ::)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 19:12:13 »
the requirement of the tip we take ours to is that it is double bagged (the council won't collect it).  We have to give address detail and car registration.  They've got a locked container for the asbestos. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal