Author Topic: First Courgette  (Read 3155 times)

debster

• Hectare
Re: First Courgette
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 18:17:08 »
my flowers on my courgettes are just really taking off and boy are they big, watch this space

bimboblia boy

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 20:41:37 »
I have 6 plants growing but only a single courgette is ready. Can I expect lots more to come soon? Also my pumpkin plants have lots of flowers on but the pumpkins just rot as soon as they appear ???

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 20:51:14 »
BB, once they start there will be no stopping them, don't worry! I picked five little ones yesterday- very pleased with myself for catching them before they grew big!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 21:17:05 »
The tiny pumpkins may have rotted because they were not pollinated. Not a lot of bees around in this weather! Hopefully the next flowers will get pollinated, or you could try hand pollinating.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 22:01:57 »
I was delighted to get my first courgettes on the 7th June. They were not my usual variety, but Longue de Nice which I expected to be late.

To see how I came to plant this variety see:-

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_courgettes.html

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 22:12:19 »
I took one look at your face smiling and one look at your courgette!  ;D

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 22:33:31 »
i'm having a real problem this year, all the fruits have not quite got to picking size but then rotted from the flower end. Not a single one has survived so far.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 22:37:40 »
Pollination is a problem this year because of the weather, I think yours are not getting pollinated like loads of mine though I have had quite a few many others are just going to mush.  First patty-pan appears to have set.  :)

OO
 ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 23:13:49 »
We are in courgette glut mode also.  Picked another 3 today.

Love the Jack be Little Jeannine.  I tend to ignore all of my other squashes, leaving them until late summer.  I pay much more attention to my cucumbers, melons and courgies at this time of year.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 14:18:31 »
I've had about 25lbs so far this year! All chopped up and frozen, or eaten on the day. Mmmmm sliced and sauteed in a little butter.  :D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 11:03:12 »
That's a lot of courgies early in the season - Do you blanch them before freezing?  What are they like after?  never done it but might try this year.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 13:08:04 »
That's a lot of courgies early in the season - Do you blanch them before freezing?  What are they like after?  never done it but might try this year.
We did blanch them but with the way my plants keep producing it will be autumn before we have to defrost any!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 15:36:02 »
I've still not got any ready to pick - I've found that the continued rain has ruined a lot of the flowers, they've gone brown, shrivelled & dropped off but did manage to hand pollinate a lovely flower head yesterday so keeping fingers crossed!

I chop or slice courgettes & never blanch - they're fine! or make them into a mix of onions, tomatoes & courgette once I've plenty of everything, freeze that too, it's lovely.

H.P.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal