Author Topic: Watering potatos?  (Read 2228 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
Watering potatos?
« on: May 24, 2004, 08:50:44 »
This has probaly been asked before, but i shall ask again. Should i water my potatoes havn`t had any decent rain for a couple of weeks now they have been earthed up & are not wilting but wasn`t sure if i should give em a drink or not?
Light of my life!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Watering potatos?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:44:13 »
If you think about it, how much water could you get to the roots - by what method?? Spraying, in my opinion, is worse than useless.

If you've only got one or two, then yes - but give them ?? at least 2 gallons each. = Tim

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:29:24 »
In my opinion (probably wrong), most people do more harm than good by watering. They sprinkle a few drops on the surface to tempt the plant to send its roots up into the surface soil, where they dry out and die. Unless you intend to give things a proper soaking, you will do more good by hoeing, to reduce capilliary action bringing moisture to the surface, on hot dry days (better still in the sun to dry out any weed seedlings) and only water when the surface is moist but the soil beneath is dry, the sky overcast. Mulching to reduce water loss is also a better bet than sprinkling crops in the open soil, IMO. None of this, of course, applies to containers, where you can get a useful amount of water to the roots.

Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 11:58:57 »
The other thing is how dry is your soil underneath? The Clayey/loaney stuff we have is still damp quite close to the surface -the only conventional stuff that I'm watering are the the stuff that's newley planted and trying to establish itself.

I am watering the 'no-dig' spuds, but these are sitting on top of the soil, albeit under a thick mulch, and I can get water to the base of them.

Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 16:01:09 »
I have never, ever, watered spuds. My guess is that in this part of the world there is water enough in the soil for them to find. And wouldn't it just encourage top growth?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 18:47:48 »
Me too - I was, of course, assuming that they were known to be bone dry down to the roots. = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 19:08:14 »
I live in `tate` land where they water even when it is pouring-it gives a huge yield of tasteless spuds >:(

Stephan.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 11:02:20 »
Tasteless spuds? I can see them now, all "kiss me quick" hats, sandals with socks, beer bellies hanging out over jogging bottoms, sat in front of some Reality TV programme....
Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 11:33:44 »
Ideal for the 'chip-eaters' with pie & Mash & jellied eels on Clacton seafront.  ;D

'I love the smell of vinegar in the morning'

http://members.tripod.com/~rosemck1/wagner-die-walkure-ride-of-the-valkyrie.mid

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal