Author Topic: thistles  (Read 2394 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
thistles
« on: April 14, 2007, 19:27:10 »
Can any one suggest how I can get rid of the dratted thistles on my lottie...a long shot I know but they are driving me mad.

I dig them up then I turn round and there they are poking up again in ten more places. usually in the middle of a row of seeds. I can't just pull them up as they have long blessed roots. Can i put a few drops of bleach on them? or vinegar? or salt?  Am trying to be chemical free if at all possible...OK I know bleach is a chemical...but needs must.

Have no idea why they keep multiplying so fast. the dandelions kindly gave up and died after a year of digging them out.
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Re: thistles
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 22:23:32 »
Sounds like you have the dreaded creeping thistle, unless you have a JCB you will have to resort to chemicals (or get another plot!). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:01:36 »
OK, so what noxious chemical is the best for creeping thistles? never heard of creeping thistles, but it is an apt description

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 09:56:05 »

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 16:19:36 »
Had already read this link during my search for info. All info seems to be aimed at farmers..there are lots of pages about it on DEFRA...it basically says keep cutting it down and in 20years it should have gone!!!!!!!!

Great help that was.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 16:46:38 »
cut 'em down and use them for nettle feed for your plants  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 18:11:12 »
Trouble is you cut em down and 3 days later there's ten of em. I have been battling against them for 3 years and they are winning so far. So now I either burn them or zap them with roundup. That seems to be working.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 19:16:26 »
I tend to use my hoe, too expensive to use weedkiller and knowing how clumsy I can be I am most likely to zap a plant I want to keep!

Incidently we call it the 'Milk' thistle in our area.

It a bit like mares tail the roots go on forever, so like mares tail I just keep cutting it down!

DEFRA...it basically says keep cutting it down and in 20years it should have gone

Oh good!! just another ten more years to go I am on the last lap  ;D

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 08:11:57 »
Is it the same as Milk Thistle? Not according to what i have been reading...

Is there a spot on weedkiller i can get? Am not very well versed in weed killers as i have never used any, so far. Will have to journey afar into town and peruse the local Wilko's

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:23:37 »
If you want to use a wedkiller like roundup / glyphosphate on plants near to your crops try this.
Cut a pop bottle bottom off and place over your weed then spray into the top of the bottle. It helps keeps the spray on the weed.  leave the bottle over the weed(s) Also wait for the weedkiller to act on the root which can take several weeks.  I would leav it for four at least in nice weather. Don't be tempted to pull it out once it looks like its given up the ghost. Repeat application if necessary and try and get as much of the stuff as possible at the same time, that way if there is a network of roots and you "zap" it in several places on the surface at the same time you stand a better chance of winning not only the battle but the war.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 12:17:03 »
ooooh, that's what my mystery roots are: not just thistle but creeping thistle :o >:(

and yes, it's bl**dy everywhere. you carefully dig up one and 3 days later there are half a dozen in its place :(
got a bit down looking at it all happily growing away on my plot yesterday – what a difference a few days of sunshine makes...

and to all those who thought my mystery roots were bindweed you were right: I've got that too :(
feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 12:23:11 »
I haven't had this specific one to deal with, but my aproach with nasty spreading perennials is to keep pulling them out, and dig the roots out every time I harvest a crop. it does work over time, but an easier way would be black plastic. I'm not sure how long it takes to kill this stuff, but no plant can live indefinitely without light.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 14:39:14 »
Creeping thistle is ghastly. It's the fact that it is so brittle and breaks off so easily that makes it hard to clear by the normal methods.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 15:10:35 »
What a good idea woppa, but my lottie will look like a pop factory if I cover all the thistles...lol Also we never drink pop or have glass bottles, soya milk comes in cartons...any other suggestions??? ;D ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 21:34:26 »
Never let them see a Sunday!

It is not that difficult to go round the whole plot once a week and pull or cut every thistle out.

I started last year and this spring have not found any roots yet when digging over.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 06:43:13 »
This is what I am doing, twice a week. They have to see Sunday though because I am busy in church then and they have to fend for themselves...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal