Author Topic: Growbags  (Read 8593 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Re: Growbags
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 17:42:42 »
Just got a bargain today- 4 x 70L bags of New Horizon peat-free for 8 quid! Last year's stock so might need a bit of feeding, but even so. Bad news is, it means they are not stocking it any more (Hayes Garen world in Leeds) as they are only stocking Westland composts.  >:(

Caroline,

if the compost you have bought is 'old stock' .... not a problem.
I have sometimes found an Ammonia smell with older bags (e.g. the last two of my own from a previous year)
Empty a bag onto path or concrete and allow to breathe for a day or two, turn over once/twice per day. Or 1/2 bag into a wheelbarrow and turn Morning/Noon/Night for a couple of days. Then mix up a couple of Gallons of Phostrogen (4 teaspoons to 2 gall) and water the pile with a fine spray can.

Now ready to use as normal.

Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 19:21:08 »
I find adding either Chempak, Vitax or JI potting base as per spec on label upgrades the compost to ex works grade.

Who knows perhaps it is better!!  at least you know how much fertilser is in it.

Plus if you want to upgrade to say a Ji2 or 3 spec this is quite easily done!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 19:34:43 »
Well, I've used some this afternoon without adding anything, so I'll see how it does, but thanks for the tips.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 17:03:35 »
We sometimes buy growbags to use as compost, but only when they're on special offer.  Sometimes at end of the tomato-planting season the supermarkets and garden centres unload their remaining stock at knock-down prices.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal