Author Topic: Frog Spawn - Dead?  (Read 4733 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Frog Spawn - Dead?
« on: April 06, 2007, 21:58:53 »
We had both ponds teaming with frogs getting it on back in Feb and had a lot of spawn produced. since then and when it dropped cold again it all seems to have disappeared as if eaten (no fish on pond and only a few frogs). have 1 cump left in the shallower wildlife pond. a lot of the eggs seem to have gone white from the usual black.

I guess it is goingto be a lean year for froglets this year :(
Will they return to have another go or is that it now. IIRC last year (our first here) we had tonnes of the stuff (and I mean tonnes) but this hardly any.

Also, how would we introduce toads as well - other halfs father brought us 2 toads he found when he was paving his rear yard last year and we let them go in our garden - no idea if they stuck around though. Is it just a case of searching for toad spawn in the wild then bringing some back home.. (and hope they return in later years)..
TIA

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: Frog Spawn - Dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 21:40:11 »
i bet your spawn has hatched and the little taddies are keeping their heads down safe this has happened to me more than once take a good look on a warm dayyou,l probobly see some
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 21:47:34 »
some of the black dots do turn white and those will be dead.I think you will find the spawn has sunk to the bottom mine used to do it every year.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 23:23:56 »
well not exactly! the spawn had definatley died (it was in the shallows on top of the gravel of one of the plant baskets) and we had not seen a frog break the surface for weeks. thought they had moved along so cleanred the pond at the weekend and found 197 frogs and 1 smooth newt. (probably far too many for the pond but you can't hire bouncers to turn them away!) no spawn though. anyway this week since the clean (and can see to the bottom) and the spawn has commenced bigtime  ;D looks like the newt is spawning as well....

so all is well that ends well.

I reckon with that many in there, there must also be quite a few in the wildlife pond too, so I am hoping with 2 hedgehogs and 200+ frogs at my disposal our slug/snail probelm may decline. I somehow doubt it though...  :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal