Author Topic: Damaged tomatoes  (Read 1792 times)

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
Damaged tomatoes
« on: April 12, 2007, 17:42:37 »
Hello all,

I have been putting my tomato plants outside during the day for the last couple of days as have no ventilation in conservatory.  They were fine yesterday but today I came home from work and found this - could it be wind damage ??  Also, I've been watering them when the sun disappers so don't know what the brown marks could be... any help much appreciated  :'(

brown marks.......

wind damage??

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Damaged tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 17:49:38 »
So far ahead!!

If you hadn't said you water after the sun, scorch would have been a thought for the first two.

I've seen No3 but can't pin it.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 17:53:53 »
thanks Tim - I thought that the first two looked like sun scorch also - but don't see how ???  could 3+4 be cos of the wind bashing the leaves against the canes  ???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 18:41:50 »
Wait for the expert!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 19:53:54 »

At first I would have said water scorching particularly as we have a hot spell lately, alternatively I thought that they may  have been in contact with overspray from a herbicide(weedkiller)

Then I did a google and I think it is Tomato Leaf curl virus

Have a read of his http://tinyurl.com/23a66p and see what you think!

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 22:13:28 »
thanks Tee Gee - how depressing !!  The early pics on the link certainly look a lot like whats happened to some of mine, I shall 'quarantine' the affected toms and see what happens next, they all seemed so haelthy and happy until this afternoon  :'(

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:11:57 »
i had the problem with scorch on my plants but cut the sections off and they have really started to come on well.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 13:28:47 »
How would the plants have got virus this early? Reading the website, it seems to be spread by sucking insects, like many plant viruses.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 19:16:36 »
I'm not so sure it is the virus, some of the leaves of the affected plants look similarly battered but they have no other symptoms.  I lined them up in the bath today - nice bright bathroom and not too much wind (from me anyway!!) - and they haven't developed anymore scorch/frayed bits.  Maybe I didn't harden them off early enough before I left them to the elements ??

ChrisG - I cut off the battered and scorched looking bits today and they look so much better.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal