Author Topic: Should I get a polytunnel?  (Read 1078 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Should I get a polytunnel?
« on: April 11, 2007, 17:34:36 »
Manic Scousers who are not far away from me have mentioned in my Melon Question that they grow their melons in a polytunnel. I dug the last sod of my allotment today, 55 weeks after taking it on and have now acquired an adjoining half plot.
I have considered getting a polytunnel but the site is on the banks of the Mersey and subject to high winds.
Will it be OK if I have plenty of guy ropes etc., or does the plastic shred?

See my view over the mersey:-

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

The half plot is to the left of the waterboard building between my plot and the road where you can see my purple car parked.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Should I get a polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 17:46:23 »
If erected properly Poly tunnels are more aerodynamic than greenhouses and can stand up to a fair bit of rough weather.

If you have the space I would go for it.

I didn't bother because I already have three greenhouses which gives me all the covered space I require!

Or so I thought  ::) as I think I have already mentioned, I have been offered a 22ft x 4 ft bed in the communal tunnel so I am taking it on with a view to growing melons & watermelons.

Go for it if you have the space!!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 17:50:56 »
A properly put up polytunnel should survive severe winds. I`ve got a thing called a  `solar tunnel`-they are more expensive than regular poltunnels but the cover is re-enforced and is only now showing signs of age after 11 or so years

www.solartunnels.co.uk

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 18:16:20 »
Sorry to sound like a wet blanket but, knowing the area as I do, the exposed conditions inevitably mean that you are at a much higher risk of damage than the majority of the population.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 18:58:20 »
our plot's on top of a small hill, the wind fairly whips across, we've used the 'bury the sides under piles of earth and plonk a flag down to make a path at the sides' system..as long as you make sure there's enough weight on it, it should be fine..the benefits definitely outweigh the problems in our case
top one last year, bottom one this year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal