Author Topic: a fun bed  (Read 1562 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
a fun bed
« on: April 11, 2007, 19:00:14 »
Hi Gang,

I have put in a L shaped bed for fun, i have got it built 4ft high and 2ft wide.

There are some posts in at the back and i want to pop some wire accross the back and i have spent most of today filling it with compost ( i have spread 2 bales of straw across the bottom as the beds only becase the beds were build around the bales and they started to disintergrate when i tryed to move them). This does mean that the soil will not be 2 heavy.

I am planting a climbing rose in the corner where the 2 bits join ( sorry for poor discription photo will follow ) and i want to plant my apple and pear as cordon in here.

I have quite a few flower seeds i want to try and grow these in the L bed, so it should be a riot of colours and smells come the summer.

Anyone else growing a bed for fun?

Cambourne7

keef

• Hectare
Re: a fun bed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 19:15:36 »
Hi Gang,

I have put in a L shaped bed for fun, i have got it built 4ft high and 2ft wide.

There are some posts in at the back and i want to pop some wire accross the back and i have spent most of today filling it with compost ( i have spread 2 bales of straw across the bottom as the beds only becase the beds were build around the bales and they started to disintergrate when i tryed to move them). This does mean that the soil will not be 2 heavy.

I am planting a climbing rose in the corner where the 2 bits join ( sorry for poor discription photo will follow ) and i want to plant my apple and pear as cordon in here.

I have quite a few flower seeds i want to try and grow these in the L bed, so it should be a riot of colours and smells come the summer.

Cambourne7

4 ft high - blimey now thats what a i call a raised bed...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 20:00:56 »
a fun bed

Oh ..... I thought this was going to be about something else.

:-X

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 22:08:52 »
a fun bed

Oh ..... I thought this was going to be about something else.

:-X

HAHA - naughty boy!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 23:19:33 »
I did wonder about the title to!  ::)

My pumpkin patch is my fun bed.  I just love to see those squashes growing, and the children play hunt the pumpkin under all those monster leaves!

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:21:54 »
HAHA - naughty boy!

Oi!  This Greyhound's a bitch if you don't mind!   :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:24:25 by greyhound »

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 10:42:04 »
I have plans for a bed that will contain a wildlife habitat and flowers to encourage friendly bugs, hopefully that will keep a 10 year old boy happy hunting bugs and a 2 year old girl happy playing with flowers.

Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 16:55:48 »
I have a flower bed too, which is my 'in case nothing else grows' for fun bed.  I've put in a bunch of bulbs, a rose bush, 3 lavender bushes (2 are probably dead though), some lily bulbs, and I'm going to plonk in a bunch of flower seeds this weekend. I like the idea of something bright and cheerful in a few months. :)

Tina.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 17:03:09 »
HAHA - naughty boy!

Oi!  This Greyhound's a bitch if you don't mind!   :o

haha i appologies to the grayhound then  ;D

timelady - agreed something bright and chearful...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 17:04:43 by cambourne7 »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 20:23:19 »

Not a bed exactly but what I do do is sow some unusual seeds for a bit of fun.

I am a member of the RHS and annually I buy £10 pounds worth of what they call 'free seeds'  ??? ???

Basically these are seeds collected from various RHS gardens and you are allowed 20 packets for your tenner (50p a packet)

I tend to buy collections; over the last few years I have sown collections of Cyclamen,Hellebores, Primula, Sisyrinchium and a few more.

Two years ago it was Ceanothus which are due to flower this year. I have saved about a dozen with a hope of getting a few shades of blue and if I am very lucky a white. If they all come out the same colour I will save a couple and the rest will go to charity.

This year I am growing a collection of Mittella and I don't even know what it is, a few have germinated so fingers crossed that I get a pleasant surprise if not then some charity will benefit at least.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal