Author Topic: Why do I like JIFFIES?  (Read 3064 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Why do I like JIFFIES?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 17:49:13 »
I guess it is good value.  I buy my potting compost from our local nursery, 3 big bags for a tenner (I don't know how big, but to heavy for me to carry) and they last well.  I need compost for potting things on also.  The jiffies are one use only, a shame if the seed doesn't germinate.  Plus, any old used compost from seed trays after pricking out or whatever gets flung into a bucket and used in the bottom of pots when I am planting up in big things, or put in the garden around plants so it all get's recycled.  I suppose my main problem is finding £50 just like that to blow on jiffies.  I can manage a tenner on the compost....just.....  :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 18:03:44 »
Emma have a look at Kayes site you can buy smaller quantities Xx Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 18:07:37 »
At that price Jeannine, yes - great. I pay much more. But I too find the outlay a bit iffy, since I may change my mind & do things another way.

But NOT one time things, Emma. I've twice had to re-sow some of mine this year through carelessness.
Yes, of course, compost is necessary too, for so many things, but it's the 'entity' of the Jiffy that I love. And the visibilty of progress & never a stuck-in-the-tray-plug as I've so often had.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 18:09:33 »
put like that jeanine yes i always use rootrainers which are expensive but reusable but they do take up a lot of compost still got 6lots now maybe try jiffys after
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 18:40:34 »
Yes - just looked at Kay's prices. Much better. Thanks, Jeannine.

Rootrainers? Thought they would be the cat's whiskers, but they are brittle, too big for the average thing &, like trays, commit you to that number of plugs per container. Jiffies are like chess pieces.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:14 »
Amazin - a different approach - now that I've got enough plants to justify the (heated) capillary bench, it's just the thing for controlled wetting of the Jiffies!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 11:55:51 »
How do I find Kay's??

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 12:06:10 »

cacran

• Hectare