Author Topic: Has Gardener's World got it wrong?  (Read 6702 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Has Gardener's World got it wrong?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:10 »
That's interesting, and probably explains a lot!

The 'Grow your own Veg' programme was notable for its overpowering music too..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 12:13:01 »
The presenters are just that - they present. Whilst Monty likes gardening, he is not a life long gardener like AT or even a life long garden designer like CB and JS.

I do think Monty makes a good presenter (unlike Carol K with all those Ooooh's and Arrrrrr's), its just the subjects hes given to present that are poor.

I can quite agree with Sweet-Pea statement about GW being more arty - how much time is allocated to shuffling colours around the Long Borders.

BUT I WANT GARDENING NOT ART. If I wanted art I'd watch Melvin Bragg.

As for the 'music', my mums hearing ain't so good these days, and whilst she enjoys the program, she can't allways hear whats going on because of the drumming in the background. If I want background music,  I'll go stand in a lift !

BTW, Can't stand CB, after spending time at Pershore collage (where he studdied and the lectured), I think he's a stuck up, lazy @$#*!(%£, who's full of himself.

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 12:47:31 »
I have to agree with the general comments here. Just get too lost in it, just get an average sized garden and then address all the issues that the majority of people would have with their garden. Mine isn't big enough for a pond, an alpine garden and and etc etc etc. Did anyone watch Monty's "Fork to Fork" programme, think it was on channel 4 a while back. Loved that and there needs to be more directed towards veg gardening. Just look at this site to see the massive interest in it.

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 22:02:13 »
I don't like all the tiddly little 'rooms' there is no connection between them - more like a flower show.  In the previous series the gardens have been admittedly very large but one could identify with them or parts of them.

This is my problem with Berryfields too. I have no idea how the whole thing is laid out - where all the little pieces are in relation to each other. It's disorientating.

Also find Joe Swift a bit trying. Bring back Chris Beardshaw.

just discovered the ideal way to watch GW you vidio it then you can fastforward through the bits you don,t like ie how to replant !!  i managed to watch the prog in 7mins !! ;D

Ha, I do this with most tv these days, so many bleedin adverts, so little patience (aren't you supposed to become more patient as you get older?)
You been goofin' with the bees?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 21:53:28 »
[Ha, I do this with most tv these days, so many bleedin adverts, so little patience (aren't you supposed to become more patient as you get older?)

who told you that..?.. ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 10:34:30 »
the tiny morsel of airspace that the couple in Cornwall got was very interesting (to me, anyway): doing the raised bed thing and using toilet roll tubes!

they also had a nifty invention for making their own cloches: partly hammered in nails on 2 lengths of wood laid parallel to each other on the ground, then "hoops" of plastic pipe had their ends pushed onto the nails – ingenious!

the rest of GW is fairly dull though :(

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 13:07:37 »
i,v got this book by monty don as we now know him it,s quite informative. it was written in 1995 i wonder why and when he dropped the montagu  marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 13:22:36 »
my OH bought me the very same book from a charity shop last year.
the 'Montagu' still keeps us entertained ::) ;D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 13:32:50 »
i'm quite enjoying GW this year, although the pond is ridiculous - who has room for that? i've never had a garden before this year so its really interesting for me, although i can see it being not in depth enough for people who know what their shrubs are LOL.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 13:54:09 »
'Montagu' is a bit upper-class for people these days! Reading his books (which I like a lot better than his programmes), he seems to be a lifelong amateur gardener who's turned professional. 'Real Gardeners' was a lot better than the other stuff of his I've seen on the box.

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 00:20:37 »
Hi all,
         I actually think that Monty is very good. Not sure about one or two of the other presenters though. I agree with the comments about the pond. A lot more people would be able to relate to the planting schemes in, say, an 8x4 foot pond. I still think that on the whole it's a very good prog though.
  What's in a name anyway?
    All The Best-Marcus Brassica :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 09:44:23 »
I watched GW last night for the first time in years. On the whole I thought it was OK. Should you want to do any of the things they were doing then they were clearly explained and helpful. Wasn't too happy about the amount of time spent on artistic shots of sky through the trees etc but then that's down to editing. I didn't much rate the woman from Dorset's contribution either.

I also watched Christine's garden for the first time ever. Anecdotal, mildly entertaining, but who could learn anything about gardening from it? More a picture of social relationships? Nice hedge mind you. What the French call a "haie buissoniere" I believe.

d**n with faint praise?? :-\

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 02:21:09 »
'Montagu' is a bit upper-class for people these days!

Didn't he use it when he flogged costume jewellery to the Toffs.
Proberby sounded ok in the 80's in when presenting Toffs World
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007, 23:14:50 »
I have read a couple of Monty's books and he is great in writing, I also think he is good as a presenter BUT the production companies need to re-think their approach, too much music, wizzing about etc. We suddenly live in a world where we have to be ALWAYS accompanied by background music...it drives me mad! Christines garden is an 'interesting' programme but the woman is BARKING MAD!!! (In my opinion!! :o ::) :o )
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 08:38:19 »
I remember a tip from Geoff Hamilton on GW from years ago. He demonstrated the folly of purchasing an expensive shredder when all you have to do is chuck all the stuff you want shredded onto the lawn and run over it with a power mower. Absolutely brilliant. Works a treat I do it all the time.
Obviously in order to do this these days you'd be advised to buy steel boots, ballistic trousers, iron gauntlets and a hard hat with a visor so it'd probably be cheaper to buy the shredder in the first place

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 10:02:18 »
I quite like the bits where monty talks us through the planning and layout of planting, but I switch off (not literaly!) when I see them doing yet more planting! Its not as if they even explain what they are doing for the benefit iof newbies. We just see then time and again putting plants in the ground. For gods sake i think most of us know how to plant! I'd really like it a bit more variety of tasks and skills to be shown. What about veg growing? Lawn care? seed sowing? Other types of propagation? And a bit more 'what you should be doing now' would be nice.

I think it has got too 'instant gardening' for my liking. They are tying to cater for those gardeners who buy all their plants full grown from the GC, and not for us true gardeners who truly care for their gardens and grow things from scratch.

To me the fact that Berryfields is not a presenters own garden isnt the problem. After all neither the Beechgrove Garden or the Greenmount Garden belong to any of the presenters, yet both programmes seem to be popular and get things 'right'. GW must be doing wrong in some other way. Maybe the presenters just dont have enough personality. I like Carol, who has got personality, I also like Monty but  i dont think either he or Joe have enough personality, not when compared to even Jim McColl (beechgrove) or John Cushnie (greenmount), let alone the likes of Geoff and Alan. In some ways it was a shame CB had to leave, as he did have personality and was a true gardener as well as a designer. Joe is little more than a designer who tries to garden, which doesnt help.

I just dont know what the answer is. I know one thing I am not looking forward to next weeks hour long programme as much as i would have done in the past. An hour of planting, yawn!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 12:26:23 »
very nicely put GC - let's campaign for less planting and more growing & tending.  :)

Agree isbister twould definately be against 'elff n safey' !

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 12:35:54 »
I personally like Monty as a presenter, but don't like the way the programme is produced any more. The music can be annoying, but what bothers me more is the camerawork, especially those extreme close-ups of plants. Last week Monty planted a primrose and they showed a shot of flowers which was so close that it became pointless. You couldn't see the leaves or tell what habit the plant has at all. I like to see a nice clump of a perennials, NOT a shot which looks like it was taking through a microscope!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 12:38:26 by dandelion »

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 13:19:39 »
What we all seem to want is a program that deals with veg growing as just as worthy a subject as flowers and plants, shrubs and borders. In a way, it's more worthwhile as we are going to be eating what we grow and so would like to get it right.
I like the occasional 'dream garden,long borders, tiny rooms' episode but really the beeb need to wake up to what gardeners want. The old earthy style of presenting has given way to the 'do you like eating in your garden in the summer and going to the garden centre' approach and i'm losing interest. It was hard enough to get OH to stop his whining to watch while it was interesting but now i have no chance!
Did someone say a while ago that a4a had 5000 members? Maybe we should all dash off an indignant letter to auntie and see what happens!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 14:35:53 »
Or just send them a link to this thread? ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal