Author Topic: Keukenhof bulb gardens - The Netherlands  (Read 1799 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Keukenhof bulb gardens - The Netherlands
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:01:19 »
I visited these last week with a gardening friend and our daughters.   Thought you might enjoy some of the photos, especially if the rain they're forecasting turns up this week. http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obelixxbe/album?.dir=855escd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obelixxbe/my_photos

There's a mystery tree in the first few pics and I'd be grateful for an id. 

Keukenhof is a parkland with permanent trees, shrubs and water features.  The grassed and bed areas of the park are given over to different producers to do with as they will to show off their bulbs and generate business.  Some of the plants were fabulous but some of the combinations ranged from garish to bizarre.   It is different  every year. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Re: Keukenhof bulb gardens - The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:11:25 »
Went there in 1987 - unforgettable! So good to see they still have the 'muscari river' - absolutely spectacular! Thanks for refreshing my memories  :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:57:48 »
I went about 8 or 9 years ago and there were no muscari rivers.  Must be a fashion thing - or a lot of surplus muscari.  I see Wisley has a muscari river this year too.
Obxx - Vendée France

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 20:26:24 »
Hi Obbelix,

I believe your mystery tree is a Wych Elm, the flowers are not flowers but winged fruits which on the Wych Elm are visiable before the leaves unfurl. The bark is greyish with thick straight ribs. This is a tree that is somewhat resistant to Dutch Elm disease and is now the only common Elm in Britain and northern Europe.

What lovely pictures, BF was anxious to know where the gardens were but was a bit disappointed to find out that they're in the Netherlands.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 20:42:10 »
Great pics Obbelix. Really enjoyed them, thanks for posting
Regards Lorna.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 22:11:06 »
I went, cor, probably 13 or 14 years ago!  Amazing to see all the bulbs in flower.  Had a wonderful time, and whilst we were there we watched a flower parade - lots of floats made of flowers.  Oh for digital cameras way back then.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 16:14:27 »
Thanks Twospot.  I googled for more info.  Half the reports say it's resistant and half say it's susceptible.  These all looked healthy and did indeed have the ribbed bark.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal