Author Topic: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)  (Read 12109 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)
« on: April 09, 2007, 17:27:52 »
Did you see the article in the Guardian about people going mad for growing veg?

They said the waiting lists for allotments have got so long in some places that people unable even to get on the waiting list!

Is that true or are they exaggerating?

I have to move next year and I'm dreading leaving my allotment in London and not being able to get one when I arrive in Tunbridge wells.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 18:34:33 »
If you search for previous posts on this topic over the past 6 months there is a lot of information from A4A members on this issue. Afraid some of it is true - waiting lists are closed on some areas. Others areas have lists of 4-5 years!

Best get on the phone to your new area and get your name down now!
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:09:50 »
oh are you allowed to do that if you don't live there?

I know my allotment is right on the border with the next borough and people living nearby can't get allotments, because they're on the other side, though I live about two miles away and have one!

I should call that council and find out.

thanks

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:18:24 »
There is now a 2 year waiting list for a plot on our site. Everything has it's turn at being fashionable. Maybe there will even be a programme soon where a team of 'gardeners' will go round to peoples allotments and deck them.
On a non cynical point of view, maybe the rise of people living in flats, not having a garden or not being able to get on the property ladder so no prospect of a garden any time soon has inspired lots of people to look into the alternatives.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:24:40 »
Maybe there will even be a programme soon where a team of 'gardeners' will go round to peoples allotments and deck them.

:o  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 22:26:10 »
oh are you allowed to do that if you don't live there?

I know my allotment is right on the border with the next borough and people living nearby can't get allotments, because they're on the other side, though I live about two miles away and have one!

I should call that council and find out.

If its on the border, depending where you are moving - would it be worth enquiring to keep your current plot?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SueLawn

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:14:23 »
I heard that they are making a film about an allotment!!
Think it will be out in the Autumn, watch the waiting lists grow then!!
Sue

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:55:12 »
Pigeonseed, why don't you start by having a look here and giving Ann, the allotments woman, a call before you start getting depressed about leaving your London plot...
http://www.tunbridgewells.gov.uk/section.asp?catid=479

It's quite possible that Tunbridge Wells (like my bit of Middlesex) is one of the places where there are sites with no waiting lists at all.

Certainly there are some places where waiting lists are so long that your only hope of getting a plot would probably be to put someone's name down at birth, but it's not the case everywhere.  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:11:51 »
The waiting list for our allotments quadrupled in the last 12 months.

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:26 »
one of my new neighbours on our site only waited a week. I think they have just released some more land though.  We are in Manchester.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 13:21:41 »
I was told there was a waiting list for this one but I think I only waited 3 months.

Mind you some people are fussier than me and say no to plots. My plot was covered in brambles up to 7 or 8 feet some of them. But somehow I was so excited about having a plot I just managed to clear them.

I've heard people on our allotments refusing allotments because they have grass on them!

pigsy

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 13:27:41 »
I'm 15th on a list for a plot on a site with 50. There are vacancies, but these can't be used at present as the ground may be contaminated. As a result of this investigation, the Town Council are looking to buy more land for allotments and, even if the land is found to be clear, may proceed with the purchase due to demand. Fingers crossed.

At my dad's allotment there are over 300 on the list.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 13:35:16 »
I think you'll find waiting lists in rural towns a lot lower than in London.

Good luck.

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 14:18:13 »
Well I've just put myself on a waiting list in Upton St Leonards, near Gloucester, and I'm apparently 2nd on the list... :)

So now I'm just wondering what the chances of anyone giving theirs up before next year are....

Oh and, hello everyone, first post and all that! :D
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 14:43:15 »
Mind you some people are fussier than me and say no to plots. My plot was covered in brambles up to 7 or 8 feet some of them. But somehow I was so excited about having a plot I just managed to clear them.

I've heard people on our allotments refusing allotments because they have grass on them!

So what are they going to do when all the weeds grow?  Doesn't show much hope for longevity.  Makes you wonder if they realise that an allotment is actually a lot of work!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 14:56:16 »
Something I've been wondering about: Do coucils let allotments to people who don't live within the borough (provided there are vacancies of course). And if you move to a neighbouring borough can you keep your allotment ????

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 11:13:36 »
The Brighton and Hove waiting list has been closed for a year, and the waiting list is at least 2 years!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:37 »
Welcome Cuke, hope you donl't have too long a wait.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 12:14:48 »
I had my name on the waiting list for 18 months before I was offered a plot.

there are still a couple of vacant plots on our site that are very overgrown with brambles: they'd need someone very determined to take them on but one of my neighbours said apparently there might be a 'young girl' willing to have a go :o

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 12:36:02 »
Near me there is one site that is very popular and has a waiting list as long as your arm. The site is immaculate, very friendly and good community atmosphere.
5 minutes walk away there is another, that is half empty, weedy and not so popular. I had the choice to either wait or do some major clearance....

Guess what, went for the unpopular one, got 2 plots with greenhouse and dilapidated shed and having the time of my life ;D

Though interestingly enough, my plot neighbour says that he had a plot at the popular one and decided to move as he had enough of his crops being vandalised by yobs. He has never had a problem at our one, apart from weeds!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal