Author Topic: Home made potting compost - help  (Read 2455 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Home made potting compost - help
« on: May 13, 2004, 16:29:45 »
Can anyone offer me some advice on making my own potting compost?

I have just emtied one of my compost bins and decided to riddle a quantity, to give me a supply of fine material as an alternative to my usualy quite coarse stuff (I am a bit impatient with making compost  ;D)

I have read that it is possible to make your own mix, but cannot remember a 'recipie' for it.

I grow a lot of plants in pots and whilst i recycle a lot of bought in compost, it is still quite costly.

I know you can get 'bases' for comost making but is there an easier way than this?

Please Help

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Home made potting compost - help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 17:11:50 »
While you're waiting, google 'potting compost' for a few tips from HDRA.
Same page gives the JIC recipe. = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 21:31:29 »
I make all my own potting compost using compost and soil that have both gone through a 1/4 in. sieve, and my plants absolutely love it.  The precise proportions of each will depend on your own soil - if it is good medium loam you will need to add a little sharp sand, but as my soil is very sandy to start with I simply use 2 soil to 1 compost.  If the mix is for plants that will only be in the pots for a month or two I add Blood,Fish & Bone at 4 ozs per 6 two gal. bucketsfull, but if is for longer term plants I add Osmacote Slow Release.

However, you should check the pH of your compost. It will probably come out at 6.5 or lower, in which case you will need to add an ounce or two of ground chalk to the mix unless you are potting calcifuges.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 17:17:49 »
Great! thanks to both :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal