Author Topic: three sisters  (Read 4500 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: three sisters
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 09:33:55 »
Jeannine,

I got the information from a website some time ago and it was refering to the height of the corn grown then not now in the US - ~6'

Phil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 09:41:37 »
Ah right, I do have seeds from a couple of old heirloom ones that are known for their height,probably no good now as corn seeds don't last as long as most,but maybe I will try a few at home away from the lottie. I still have some Iroquois which is a blue/black colour, and the Cherokee one that grows pretty good, I think I still have the blood red one too and that grows taller than most. I shoulkd check the germination, I might be lucky.

Got to be truthful and say I grow a differnt type for my eating though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 20:58:48 »
Jeannine

Which corn would you grow to keep for popcorn please ???

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 21:44:02 »
Thought I'd give this a go this year, too- if it means I only have to prepare 1 bed instead of three it sound s good to me! We'll have to compare notes on the results.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 22:37:18 »
 A Popcorn variety, I put some in my swap parcels , let me know if it gone before it gets to you.I wll send youa bit. Leave it to dry completely on the plant wait till the plant has died and then take your cobs, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 15:39:37 »
I'm gonna try this too.

I started a thread a while back, when the GYO programme had been on, just a few more bits of info...

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,28104.0

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 16:07:55 »
I am also going to be using this method but as I will only be lifting my first early potatoes on approx 8 June and it is this space that I had alloted to do my corn -  I am not sure whether I must start my corn in toilet roll holders and when? as this would give me the extra weeks I need to clear the ground of the FE potatoes.  Possible the french beans will also need to be started in rolls - not what I had wanted as I would prefer starting straight off in the ground after seeing Jeannine's comment about corn "switching off" if not planted out at the right time.

Any ideas would be welcome.  I live in Dorset which is about 2 weeks ahead in the frost ratings.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 16:39:25 »
I started my sweetcorn in loo rolls and my beans in modules today and have put some courgette seeds in damp kitchen roll to chit so that's a start!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 18:43:54 »
Just time your corn so that when it is ready to be moved plant it in the ground, give it three weeks from seeding, ata push 4, I plant mine on Mayday if weather seems good, bad summers I plant middle of May.  I plant 1 seed to a 3inch pot or very large Jiffies. XX

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal