Author Topic: Shed security  (Read 4153 times)

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
Shed security
« on: September 25, 2006, 11:53:32 »
Here is an idea for you all, after my unfortunate shed tipping experience last week I have added a few supports....3"x3"x6` posts into "metspikes", 2 on the front and 2 on the back, I have then added a strip of batten inside the shed and screwed through it into the posts. It all feels very secure now, lets hope its a bit of a deterant. :D

Regards

Matt

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Shed security
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 14:48:26 »
Matty. That looks like a job done well. Only problem with these scumbags is if they can't do damage the easy way they resort to more damaging action. Had it once after putting up a secure fence, they just put an iron bar through the slats and made big holes. Lets hope they leave your plots alone. Good luck.
Lorna

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 21:36:30 »
 ;D Great idea ;D wish I had thought of that ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 22:33:44 »
Excellent idea Matty, but isn't it a shame we have to resort to such measures. :(
Smile, it confuses people.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 22:42:58 »
It is a terrable shame we have to resort to such measures...I did wonder about not bothering and giving up, but why should I, Id prefer to make it difficult for them, rather than give up something I love doing.

Just looked at that picture I posted...I'm really not very good at painting...judging by all the drips every where!!
 ;D
Regards

Matt

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 23:32:31 »
I think it looks brilliant........you have guttering too!! That's a to-do for the Bearded Wonder ;D ;D

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 22:45:41 »
Just like to add( sorry if im repeating others) block out your shed windows so preying eyes cant look in and see what you've got and use a drill and drill out the crosses on your crossheaded screws holding the hinges on.No point having a great big padlock if they can quickly remove the screws holding your door or push your plastic perspex windows in.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 08:45:13 »
I think it looks brilliant........you have guttering too!! That's a to-do for the Bearded Wonder ;D ;D

does b.w. need to get his hand in maggie? a bit of practice? perhaps he's a bit rusty?
gutterless of Peterborough
rofl ;) ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 08:48:53 »
i was actually thinking that about the hinges myself sillybilly.  I've got a wonderful padlock on mine that you can't get to the screws, but the hinges are another matter.

we had "interlopers" in the back garden again the other night so a side gate is going up soon.  mind you, if they got in the shed they could wash all the pots for me ??  ::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 21:14:12 »
does b.w. need to get his hand in maggie? a bit of practice? perhaps he's a bit rusty?
gutterless of Peterborough

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ha! You'd be in the queue Sarah.It's going to be a loooong wait I fear,it's the rugby season. ::)

Big Al

• Not So New ...
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 19:55:41 »
To stop people unscrewing my hinges I
have drilled through both halves of the hinge and put
coach bolts through so that they can't unscrew the hinge.
This was on advice given to me by the police when my shed at home was broken into.

Alan

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 20:19:09 »
 ???

Al...could you explain this a bit more? Am a bit of a numpty in the DIY arena...

;)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 20:38:48 »
To stop people unscrewing my hinges I
have drilled through both halves of the hinge and put
coach bolts through so that they can't unscrew the hinge.
This was on advice given to me by the police when my shed at home was broken into.

Alan
They just use bolt cutters here. Given up completely now, door held shut with a brick. ::)

Big Al

• Not So New ...
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 20:02:26 »
Katy not much good at explaining but here we go.

A hinge has two parts one that screws to the door and the other that screws to the
"frame". Drill a hole through one half and the door, and another one through the other half and the frame.
Put a coach bolt ( that will fit right up to your hinge and which has a round head that
can't be unscrewed from the out side or cut off with bolt cutters) through each hole
with the bolt side on the inside of the shed.

Sorry it really is quite simple I just don't know how to explain it any easier.
Alan

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 21:44:32 »
Got carriage bolts on the hinges of my shed door, will get a picture tomorrow and post tomorrow night so that you can see them Katynewbie. I've also got a close shackle padlock to lock my shed.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 22:17:30 »
 ;D

Thanks Twospot, I think I have already got that on my shed, a mate did something clever with the hinges for me (he said!) so it would be good to know if it's the same!

;)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 22:28:29 »
No probs, painting more of the shed tomorrow, so no excuse for not getting a pic or 2  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal