Author Topic: Beekeeping rules & regs - help Robert B  (Read 3075 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Beekeeping rules & regs - help Robert B
« on: April 08, 2007, 13:07:33 »
Hi
Someone has (seriously) asked about keeping bees on our allotments, something I have been quite interested in myself, and as a commitee we have decided to investigate further.

Does anyone else have any ideas or rules regulations drawn up that we can use as guidlines. Or any reasons why we should not let someone keep bees.

Any help appreciated

Glow

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Beekeeping rules & regs - help Robert B
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 20:33:51 »
The best place to go for advice is the BBKA http://www.bbka.org.uk/ . There are plenty of places round the country where bees and allotments go together quite happily, so there's no need for problems to occur. Limit the number of hives - 2 per plot is normal. Contact your local Beekeepers' Association (the BBKA will have the address), and ask them for advice. Hives should be well away fropm paths if possible, and should as far as possible face into some sort of barrier, at least 6 feet high, which will lift the bees above head level. The thing to avoid is having bees flying low across a path or a neighbour's plot. Obviously, bees should not be worked when neighbours are on their plots. There's a good page at http://www.allotments.net/general/bees.htm .

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 20:44:31 »
thanks Robert

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:01:39 »
We're next to the bee keeper for our allotment. He's taken on a couple of beginners who clearly don't realise the bees shouldn't be worked when neighbouring allotmenteers are out. The bees get stroppy and as a result I got stung a couple  of days ago. Luckily not allergic like younger bro, but still swollen glands 2 days later which is pretty irksome. Next time I see them there will be words!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:34 »
Someone asked me if they could keep bees on their lottie when I was the secretary. Lucky I said I'd have to investigate it first. His neighbour was severely allergic to the stings - in a 'fatal' sort of way  ::) So check with members as well  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 11:44:11 »
One thing I'd add (and three of my colonies are on allotments)...
In your shoes I'd insist that any beekeeper has public liability insurance.
If they're current members of the BBKA (with membership card to prove it) then they will be insured through the BBKA.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 14:36:16 »
cheers all very good points

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 14:39:10 »
very good points

Like what bees have in their bums  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 19:24:18 »
Wot....the sting...... :o

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 22:04:24 »
Insist that they join the local Beekeepers' Association. That way they'll have support available if needed, and they'll have BBKA membership through it. That kills two birds with one stone.

ne14moose

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 00:01:33 »
We have beehives and live in NC.This is our 3rd yr with them.Major thing is get with a bee assocation in your county.Call the agriculture place and ask about meetings.The meetings are vey helpful with leaning all about honeybees,the do's aad don'ts,where to place hives,ect.....When we first got them i was alittle worried.We started with 2 hives,now have 18,and totally love the experience.

RachInYork

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 18:33:52 »
I'd try looking up the local beekeeping association, otherwise there's always the National Bee Unit at Defra: http://www.csl.gov.uk/aboutCsl/scienceGroupsAndTeams/phg/beeUnit.cfm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal