Author Topic: Afghan Purple Carrot  (Read 25332 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Afghan Purple Carrot
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2017, 19:40:25 »
Not eaten the purple sweet potatoes....yet.....but have daughter who works in posh supermarket on look out!
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2017, 11:03:53 »
What's the variety? I have Negresse, but it never produces much. I've been trying to get TPS off it; last year I had one very small berry, but it was empty. The next step is to try to graft it onto a tomato rootstock. I've only got two seeds of a rootstock variety to germinate, but I should at least be able to get seed for next year. I've got a black-skinned carrot which came from the market; I've no idea of the variety. I'm hoping to get seed off it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2017, 14:13:01 »
There is a new type of purple carrot called purple sun.  Available from Dobies and Suttons 9actually I think these might be the same company) and others  I have bought some and they are on their way!!

Waitrose do Stokes purple sweet potato tasted like a sweet potato to me, and there are slips available for Molokai purple.
If you manage to grow sweet potatoes can you then use one of the tubers to produce slips the following year.  The slips are expensive, but not so bad if they are mothers of the future.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 14:31:55 by Digeroo »

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2017, 14:35:35 »
Well M& S not got purple sweet potatos according to my spies/ daughter....so cant do a taste comment.
Digeroo thanks for that, will read up on it.

RObert, did tou get to taste the black skinned carrot?
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal