Author Topic: Straw Mulch  (Read 886 times)

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
Straw Mulch
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:05:42 »
When we lost SS i decided to get a bale of straw and mulch my raspberries.
Yesterday was the day, it was a beautiful sunny day and in true SS style there is now straw everywhere ~ amazing how it sticks to the material in the car boot.  But i had a little natter to myself and SS and thought of Will and her nearest and dearest.
Question ~ do i push it hard to the ground or just loose around the canes, how often do i replenish?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Straw Mulch
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:25:14 »
I just lay mine on top - don't push it in.  You will know when to replenish, it will be quite a few weeks if not months. It also depends on how thick a blanket you put down to begin with.   The straw paths i did in august/sept last year only just need replacing now.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:44:52 »
Does anyone know of the best place to buy straw? I found little 'bunny packs', but at that price it would be cheaper to pay someone to watch the weeds grow and the pull them out :o

cj :)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:35:27 »
Buying Straw ...

in our area, not a problem, we get ours from a friendly Sheep Farmer who uses it by the truck load for bedding during Lambing season (right now). Last year we paid 50p per square bale of Wheat straw. This year we paid £1 per bale for Barley straw, bought 10 bales.

Another possible source is Horse stables, or anyone keeping Horses. Although many have moved to wood shavings for stable litter, there are still a lot using straw and chopped straw.

Our local Newspaper regularly advertises straw for sale (square bales) at around £2.50 per bale.

Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:29:49 »
Thanks Mikey

cj :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 22:09:57 »
We can get bales at both our local pet superstores - last time I bought one we got rats living in it.  :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal