Author Topic: Goose Breast  (Read 1389 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Goose Breast
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:06:11 »
I have a glut of goose breasts at the moment, having visited a shooting friend this weekend. There's 30 or 40 in total, not leaving much room in the freezer. Anyway,  I like the taste but find it a bit dry unless used in strogonoff or curry. Anyone got any tips or recipes?

Thanks in advance,

Ollie

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
Re: Goose Breast
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 14:11:55 »
Dry? Mmm, are you skinning the fat off before cooking? I've always found it relatively greasy.

Try roasting the breasts with the fat on (fat uppermost for self-basting), collecting the fat and using on roasties/chips. Griddling would also be good.
Cut them in half lengthways and pan fry them (no added oil), or hammer them out a bit and pan fry them.
Hot water crust pie?
Cassoulet?
Confit of Goose?

Have a look here for other ideas:  http://www.goose.cc/NewpagesSept04/recipes.html

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Goose Breast
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 15:24:55 »
Hmmm, some lovely recipes there & thanks for the pointers. I think the dryness may be due to them being wild geese - perhaps you've used wild ones too or maybe there's not much difference. Poor buggers fly several thousand miles for a winter feed & get blown out of the sky upon arrival.

I haven't actually made a start on consuming this lot but 2 of my aunts have & it was them who commented on the dryness... I found this to be the case last year but didn't have so many so put up with it.

The main hazard is watching out for shot, a mouthfull of crunchy lead can really spoil the best of meals!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal