Author Topic: Help! Should I kill them all???  (Read 4934 times)

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
Re:Help! Should I kill them all???
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 11:34:08 »
Thanks John.  I thought ours were mildew infested last year.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 22:46:57 »
If they were white then it was powdery mildew!

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 18:05:38 »
Well whatever it is that is making my plants go yellow is not affecting their growth - today I have flowers... is it too early?? Should I do anything??? Feel like a new mum with a premature baby!! Thanks to everyone who replied about the mottling, I really appreciate it.
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 22:54:45 »
If they are still at first true leaf stage then it is too early. I would suspect that it is a stress response like EJ's. What size pot/cell are they in? How close are you to planting out?

Compo

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 23:04:05 »
I don't think its mosaic virus, mine have had the same, so have my marrows and pumpkins I just witheld water for a couple of days and they perked up.

Compo
Compo

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 09:48:38 »
The ones with flowers are in 5" pots with about 6 saucer sized leaves and overall covering a good of square foot of sprawl.  The flowers are at the join of the leaves and the main stem.  Someone mentioned taking the flowers off to allow more growth before flowering - should I do that?? Who would have thought that courgettes would cause such problems...
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 00:40:44 »
They are fine Piglit. I germinate mine three to a three inch pot and I envisaged something similar. The flowers you are getting now will be male. It is possible that this is an evolutionary adaptation by the plant to introduce itself to bees so I would be reluctant to take all the flowers off. This could result in better pollination later in the season.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2004, 22:27:26 »
If they were white then it was powdery mildew!

I read that spraying them with a 10% milk/water solution will combat this.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2004, 08:58:09 »
Ina,

The HDRA did trials on the milk water mix a couple of years ago and found that it was effective  :D - of course thanks to the EU, no one is allowed to use milk and water mix on their plants to prevent mildew  >:( ???

If, on the other hand, you choose to spray a 10:1 mix of water and milk on to the leaves of mildew prone plants as a growth stimulant, they can't touch you for it!!!!

;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 08:59:45 by philcooper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal