Author Topic: Is anyone into foraging  (Read 22248 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Is anyone into foraging
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2007, 14:28:47 »
The main man has been asked to consider a new section - heres hoping

G

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2007, 18:19:52 »
I think that is an excellent idea if Dan can fix it.  Thank you. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2007, 18:42:23 »
I have to confess to being a Huge Whirly Fingerstall fan as well - I found his hedgerow section very interesting.  Also, there was something on TV last year about a roadkill chef (?) who spent his time walking country lanes and picking up dead animals.

We are just back from hols to Northumberland (from Pompey) - couldn't believe the number of dead pheasants we saw on the roadside the length of the country.  Sad confession time - we added to the carnage with one that was just too stupid not to fly straight into us; should we have stopped and picked it up?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2007, 20:10:44 »
  Sad confession time - we added to the carnage with one that was just too stupid not to fly straight into us; should we have stopped and picked it up?
in the uk (i think) its not legal to pick up birds you have hit but it is legal to pick up birds someone else has hit - silly or what, but i suppose it stops you swerving all over the road to hit them ;D

If its fresh - ie you saw it got hit or accidentally shot it yourself ::) it would be a waste not to eat it.

If its been hit by a car chances are its internal organs will be mushed so probably best just to quickly cut the breasts out - still a nice light meal for two.
Apologies to the vegetarians amongst us

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2007, 20:14:20 »
out of interest quite a few of HFW's practices are illegal. those that spring to mind are catching crayfish without a license and the river owners permission and shooting animals not classed as vermin with air rifles - still free food is the nicest tasting of all food  ;)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2007, 20:18:59 »
Is anyone into foraging? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  ;D

I've been to Hardwick Hall today and visited the herb garden. There was a huge bed of wild garlic so I 'secretly' stuffed a load of leaves in my handbag.

Unfortunately my car's fan/cooling system packed in when I got there so I had to be towed back home to Notts by a lovely bloke from the AA who 'wondered' what the smell was.

Apparently he's seen wild garlic in the woods that he visits with his kids so I've sent him off with a leaf to identify it and a few recipes!

I used to go foraging as a kid with my dad - hazlenuts, elderberries and flowers, dead pheasants on the derbyshire roads (hung for weeks in the garage) bilberries on the Peak District moors, rosehips and rabbits.

My ultimate dream is to find a puffball! Never ever seen one.

I used to go to the Longshaw estate in Derbyshire that opened the fields during September for the sheepdog trials. I went to see the dogs work, but a substantial amount of people went to harvest magic mushrooms!

You could tell the different people apart:

SHEEPDOG ENTHUSIASTS: Flat cap and wellies driving a Landrover

MAGIC MUSHROOM ENTHUSIASTS: Dreadlocks and crocheted sandals carrying a hessian bag with an all-day travel ticket from South Yorkshire Buses for £1.50

Oh happy days!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2007, 20:21:25 »
I once collected a sheep someone had hit. I'd been foraging like mad for several weeks, spending the summer camping with next to no money, and I'd mostly been eating tasteless nasty fungi out of the pinewoods for a bit. So I found the sheep, and ate like a king for a bit.

Some people swear by puffballs, but I've always found them to be tasteless, with no texture at all.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2007, 20:22:30 »
GLOW!

Then you need to read 'The Poacher's Handbook' by Ian Niall ;)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2007, 20:31:21 »
Robert: I think it's a matter of seasoning with things like puffballs.

Not so good on their own, but mixed with other herbs etc they can be quite palatable?

Anyway, I wouldn't know because I've never found one!

My dad can help with this though. He is the warden of a 'secret wood' near Mexborough so he can get me loads of lovely edible stuff.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2007, 20:35:37 »
Puffballs would probably be fine if they were well seasoned, I agree.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2007, 20:45:31 »
Trixiebelle you make me laugh, I have kicked many a hippy off my acreage  when in Canada, John and I  went out one day to a crowd of them  giving them what for  till we  heard a voice say Oh Mum lighten up and up stood my son!!. Of course then I was down on my knees getting a lesson in what they looked like, tiny wee things.

I then had to feed  all the ruddy crowd of his friends

So how did you manage to hold your hessian bag and your dog lead at the same time??

XX Jeannine..

PS please keep making me laugh.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2007, 20:55:49 »
Jeannine!

I have a hessian bag but I would never EVER harvest magic mushrooms! My mind is over-active enough without enhancing it with fungal fun!

I love to see the sheepdogs work!

I know lots of people that think the 'magic mushrooms' are magic! Not for me though

Trixie XX

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2007, 20:57:01 »
Nor me, you know I was just teasing XX Jeannine

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2007, 21:07:28 »
GLOW!

will look it up on ebay cheers- BTW where are you now are you not in Derbyshire anymore? Lots of puffballs round here in the Peak District but non of the giant variety (have only seen them near Glastonbury on holiday)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2007, 21:09:55 »
I had one experience of foraging and that was for sloe berries, picked a few of them to try and make sloe gin, then was told you had to wait until after a frost so put the lot in the compost bin!  I used to pick blackberries and then spotted little worms in them and not done it since

PS - Hippy thing - anyone wear budgie bells on their shoes, pet shop man thought I was a raving lunatic when I bought six for each foot  ;D ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2007, 21:17:13 »
Didn't know about the bells, but a lot of the Washington hippies from the communes wore flea collars around their necks, I always thought that odd, chemicals and all !!

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2007, 21:20:03 »
GLOW!

I am now £4.50 worse off - thanks Trixiebelle (and amazon), but at least I have a book to read on holiday

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2007, 21:36:54 »
Sorry about the Amazon Bill Glow!

I'm not in Derbyshire any more. Was born and brought up in the Peak District though. My dad was a mountaineer so I spent all my spare moments waiting for him to drop off a crag at the weekends and in the meantime I went foraging - bilberries usually!

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2007, 21:46:53 »
billberries - we get them from Goyt Valley - invented by the devil how can you pick for so long for so little

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2007, 22:31:24 »
'How can you pick for so long for so little'?

I think it's Mother Nature's way of keeping us all off the internet and out into the moors to pick berries  ;D

Bill Gates Versus Bilberries!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal