Author Topic: Grantham Allotment - been given notice HELP!  (Read 18074 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Grantham Allotment - been given notice HELP!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 16:05:10 »
Just a thought but why don't you spread a rumour that gypsies are buying the land!  I am sure some local wealthy person would suddenly come up with some cash to keep them out and keep you lot on to keep the gypsies out!!

Hope you aren't a Romany!  I don't mean to sound racial but they do have a bit of a reputation!

Good Luck

;D

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 17:00:32 »
If any of plot owners are members of a Trade Union and sounds like one may be, they can seek free legal advice for 30 mins through Union.  Also write to MP and seek which dept. is now in charge of allotments as the deputy PM dept is now defunct.
This Govt, has for all its sins does have a allotment policy.  Also under English Law if no rent has been secured and paid for use of land, that has been maintained then the case of claiming it under common law may be a good one.
If you have been giving notice,  who is the undersign notifying officer, he will know of the persons name that he is acting on behave of and it is available under the freedom of information Act.  It also is now, as noticed has been issued, a matter of public record so can be obtained through this instrument.

Get the press involved, get a website/blog set up, interview each of the other plot holders, photographs of them, get their stories of there time on the land.  Also get local radio involved, commerical and bbc.  surprising how many people listen to a radio at work.

Getting organised is half battle,  really once you are then you can really fight well.  try the countryside alliance as well and see their reaction to this news.
write to Gardeners world,  Gardeners questions  on radio 4 see if they will highlight it.
Jane Moore of Gardeners world would be a great place for first contact as she did the series the allotment. 

good luck and also get a petition going, online one as well.
as well as all suggestions below
CG
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 17:02:16 by Celtic_Growers »
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 14:20:48 »
Just to update you as we had our meeting this morning...

We have formed an association - I'm treasurer... and everything else is in hand. We will of course fight this tooth and nail but I can't give anymore details as we can't advertise to the 'otherside' what our moves are.

Looking good though - meeting was excellent and it helps when our Chairperson is a solicitor! ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 19:46:22 »
wish we had a little man with his fingers crossed, go get 'em, everything's crossed here  :)

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 20:20:03 »
Keep up the fight Olive.sutton girl
Sue

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 16:59:20 »
GO  O.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 09:40:42 »
Thats great Olive, at least you've got things moving. Doom to the 'otherside' and victory to you!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 10:15:02 »
Hi Olive how is thing going is their any more progress ?
Sue

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 13:37:54 »
http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=2734880&sectionid=833

We;re in the paper today!!!! Really good article - dont you think????

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 14:20:59 »
Mmmm. Love local journos don't you? They really know how to get that punchy story.  :-X
Still, it's amazing who gets up in arms over this sort of thing once they've read it. Every one hates developers (well, we do here) and no-one wants to see land taken like this.
i'm really rooting for you Olive, glad you've got such a solid team there to fight with you, and a solicitor has to come in handy!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 18:04:57 »
At least you've got some publicity though OO, you never know how many other planning guru's, solicitors, environmental peeps might see it and offer to join the 'team'.  Keeping everything crossed for you x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 21:41:23 »
Which one's you in the picture OO, death to the developers.  :o ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2007, 22:03:22 »
Great article OO. I have just responded to the newspaper as I think we all should,it might make them stay with the story and give some weight to your plight.  This another case of might against right, but there are a great many lottie owners and many will back you. Get that petition going, and come on A4A the Grantham newspaper asked for feedback, so let's give them loads.It only takes a minute and they are bound to at least notice there are more people out there that are touched by this than the 60 on the plots. |Come on I challenge you, get you fingers tapping to the Grantham paper.IT IS SOMETHING  WE CAN ALL  DO AND IT MIGHT JUST HELP OLIVE AND HER PALS XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2007, 22:50:12 »
I've just sent a short letter - hope it helps. x

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 06:17:20 »
Awww thank you guys - you're all so brilliant :-)

I am wearing black and red skirt and top right in the middle.

My son is holding the sign and daughter holding Twinkletoes - the chicken.

moonbeam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2007, 20:03:01 »
if what a majority of people are saying that the land could be claimed under common law then ask your chairperson who is the solicitor to make a claim for the land in the name of your allotment association.
inform the papers of what you are doing and this might force the mystery owner to come forward with proof that he is the rightfull owner.
if he does come forward with proof at least you will know who you are up against.
good luck moonbeam

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2007, 21:35:03 »
Olive, I've sent an email to the paper having a gentle rant about the importance to the community of allotment site and the folly of allowing developers free reign over your town, referencing the situation in Bournemouth. 2000 flats built in the past few years. No gardens, tiny kitchens, no green space, all dedicated to car parking.
I hope they stick with the story and support you all.  :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 18:00:47 »
I have just had an email from the newspaper inviting me to send my address for confirmation and saying to state if I don't want my response to the article  printed. I have sent the addy and said yes please do print my response XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2007, 22:09:15 »
I've done the same but will they print these letters from outside their area?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 22:15:21 »
I can't see why not I could comute live there work here. XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal