Author Topic: Grantham Allotment - been given notice HELP!  (Read 18134 times)

sutton girl

• Half Acre
Re: Grantham Allotment - been given notice HELP!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 17:36:54 »
Hi Olive  i still think you should get in touch with nsalg they have a solicitor that can help in these situations and good luck,
Sue

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 17:38:02 »
OO I am devastated for you will PM you a site that might be able to help with the American side of things

Try your local church they may have some information to help as they were every much involved with the local community way back

good luck

BB  :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 17:41:06 »
I'll get in touch tomorrow sutton girl.

Petit pois - some of the plots have been fenced off by their tenants and have been for over 7 years.  From what i understand a fence gives a better case but not completely necessary.  The land isnt registered, from what i can tell, i've tried the land registry and its not even on their at all.  As soon as i can find more details from the secretary I can do some more research but so far am stuck.  

I did read somewhere that legally they need to give 12 months notice to evict - so the 6 they are giving us is not enough anyway!

Blue bird... good idea about the church thing... Someone must know something. I can't believe the old boys dont know... some of them are over 70!

Once again i'll keep you posted.  Thanks for all your replies.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 17:57:16 »
I am so sorry to hear that yet another allotment site is being targeted for closure when there are so many folks crying out for them. There used to be a law that came under "right of user" or something like that I think you need to see a sympathetic solicitor. I hope you are able to get things sorted
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 21:39:17 »
OO, really sorry to hear this news, hope everything works out.

If you need a petition to be signed just post it on here.

Don't think I can be any other help, but will ask around to see if OH knows anything about the laws concerning. He works in a conveyancing firm so they might know about legal side of things.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 11:08:32 »
Ok getting closer guys!

There are no records of the allotments at the parish council, BUT the woman I am searching for was possibly american and was friends with Violet Van der Elst who once owned Harlaxton Manor... this should in theory help in the search as the mystery woman went to live in America in the 1950's.  Our allotment is called California Gardens so this should be a clue as to where she was from. Does anyone know of a famous california gardens outside of california in case california is too obvious?

The boys didnt have any info on Adverse property possession so i've printed it off and will post it to them later.

Also - more good news. One lady on the plot is a solicitor and works for enviromental section at Notts so should beable to help us alot!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 11:22:46 »
Hi OO, only just caught up with this thread. You must be devastated at this news. My q's are like everyone elses. How did the people who want to sell obtain it? The sad thing is when well meaning people leave land or houses for the good of all that they don't put it in any legal form, they just expect their wishes to be carried out. The house we lived in when i had my first child was a rented end terrace, that in 1875 had bee built for cheap rent by the poor, and this tradition had been carried on by the family who owned it up until the last of the old boys died in 2003 and left it to his grandson. He forgot to say in the will though that this should be carried on, and the lad evicted us and moved in.
I hope that you are successful in your search for knowledge and that you win this battle. It seems very unfair you dshould have to do this at all. I would say contact the office of Charlie Boy ( he loves lotties) and your local paper, someone out there has the info you need! Best of luck x
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

missie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 05:13:25 »
Hello,

Sorry to hear your news.

Just thinking out loud but,

1, wouldn't the local authority had to have get a change of use for the land to allotments originally, if so that would make it allotment land and you are required to be given 12 months notice, compensation or another allotment site?
2, Silly but why don't you approach the local parish council to secure the land for the group and thus forfilling the stratigic plan to give allotments to that town/area?
3, Does sound like you have some sort of land ownership rites after the 7 year thing!?

Best of luck.

from missie.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 18:53:32 »
hi OO,

chin up girl and give them hell!!

when you speak to the parish council ( suggest quiet chat with chair and clerk ) point out that they have a duty to provide allotment.

Also speak to your local council ( elections comming up ) and get the planning office and the allotment officer on side.

Or let A4L know when we need to be there with out baseball bats

cambourne7

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 19:01:39 »
We have a plot meeting a week on sunday - so will know more then hopefully!  If we lose it i've decided to buy some land anyway to farm... I hope we dont of course but there is only so much we can do to save the plots!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 22:11:18 »
i would still go with buying the land, as they say the price of gold flutuates. Money only has the value man puts on it if he feels like it but land, land is something man can pin hope, dreams. Land is freedom.

Cant remember where i heard that but i though it was apt...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 22:20:29 »
The Land Registry aren't playing fair... it would have been registered long before 1875.
Their Solicitors must know who legally owns it if they want to sell it.
Don't get hung up on California Gardens... names like that and New Zealand /Moscow etc were common in the 19thC to mean a long way from anywhere...

Keep your chin up and let us know how things are going... I don't have a baseball bat but have a billhook and chillington hoe both of which can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.. like mine...
 :o

missie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 05:35:42 »
Howdy,

Why don't you contact the local press and make it a news item, it may help get some things moving for you, bring up/out some info that you need?

from missie

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 07:29:59 »
Based on the above:

1. Adverse possession sounds like it will be hard to demonstrate, does the Landlord do anything?

2. Land registration - unless title ownership changes then registration has been unnecessary - compulsory registration has only been a relatively recent event. There are still swathes of the country unregistered.

3. Find out from the Council what use the land is zoned for - e.g. agricultural land or whatever.

4. If you have local elections this year get in touch with all candidates; if not, get in touch with the councillors, MP, etc. I'm sure your plot and their smiling face Will make a great photo in the local press as part of your campaign.

Good luck

OC

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 08:35:55 »
If it dates back to 1875 or older surly the area could be classed as an National Heritage?

What abould asking your local MP, what with the election comming up i'm sure they would try their best if it got all your votes.

Put together a local petition?

Hope you win your case!  Good luck

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 12:56:41 »
Just a quick update.... someone has spoken to the oldest (93) resident of the lane and cannot remember the land being given to the residents... so hope is pretty much gone there as no one can remember the womans name.

We have been given the official notice to leave letter and have a big allotment meeting next sunday.

Solicitor is on the case and petitions are being made so watch this space.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 15:05:51 »
 >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

If you want someone to lie down in front of a JCB I'm your gal.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 12:35:48 »
Hi OO

Chin up all is not lost!

Just a thought but if they are selling it as arable land or whatever - what would be the possibility of you all clubbing together to buy it?  I am sure that you would get a loan from some bank or other and you would have to form a company and issue shares but all do-able stuff?  If the land isn't being sold for housing then it shouldn't cost too much and when anyone gives up their allotment they sell on their share!

Best of luck though!

Old Bird ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 12:37:57 »
check with planning at your local council as they have to apply for a change of use and planning permission if they want to put up houses.

You can object !!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 09:19:45 »
Hi - the piece of land is within the towns expansion plan... so although there isnt planning permission to build on it YET and it isnt being sought YET... it is earmarked for prime building land so imagine it would cost a FORTUNE.  Also the fields around are earmarked too which would link it all to a large housing estate.  10 acres of land earmarked for development would be well beyond our budget I'm afraid... the thought did cross my mind though LOL.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal