Author Topic: Ok daft question Mulching  (Read 851 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Ok daft question Mulching
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:23:40 »
Well I need to know what you  all use , I used to mulch in Canada with stuff I got by the lorry load but can't get it here.

I have not mulched for the last 5 years and I do spend a lot of time weeding and watering.

Help appreciated please.

I read  mentions here and there about straw.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Re: Ok daft question Mulching
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 13:56:58 »
Jeannine,

our home garden soil is quite sandy and drains freely, lots of plant compost had been dug in over the years before we arrived (August 2005), we have continued this and also used 'tons' of Horse Poo (mixed with chipped Straw) to help the ground retain moisture ... with great success.

we use Straw (Wheat or Barley) under our Strawberries, tidy the bed and spread it out as soon as first flowers are seen.
Likewise with bush Tomato and Courgettes. In all cases to keep the 'fruits' clear of the ground and away from muddy splashes during rain or watering.
At the end of each season this straw goes in the compost bin/s and we start with new straw each Spring

around the garden we use grass cuttings on Runner/French Beans and beneath hedges and shrubs.
We do not use lawn weed/moss killers, in fact we use NO weedkillers or chemicals other than milk (for mildew, a recent A4A tip) and weak liquid soap spray if Green/Black Fly are particularly heavy.

My understanding is that mulches are good if you water very, very well before laying them ... they slow down evaporation from the ground. If you mulch then water you may do more harm than good.

I am interested to see what our A4A colleagues think on 'To mulch or not to Mulch'

hope some of this helps
Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 15:53:53 »
I am interested to see what our A4A colleagues think on 'To mulch or not to Mulch'

I rarely do! I prefer to dig plenty of humus making material into the soil in autumn and let it soak up the winter weather.

I also think it is not really necessary if you are using a narrow bed system where you can plant a little closer than some of the 'experts' will say.

I find that most of the crops I grow create  there own ground cover when they are mature.

If you look at my potato & brassica beds here; http://tinyurl.com/3dpucl by August you can't see the soil meaning it isn't getting dried out by the weather and if my 'humus' is doing its job the plants are OK for moisture.

Well thats my opinion!!

Plus it is another job I can do without!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 17:56:00 »
we mulch up our potatoes with grass clippings, over newspaper to make sure the spuds don't go green
we mulch our strawberries with straw as well
mulch up the peas with grass clippings as well
mulch up things like celeriac, beans, corn with compost
mulch up the soft fruit with old wood chip..works for us  :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 18:04:45 »
:)

been mulching broad beans today with grass cuttings/ shades x
grow your own way

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 18:07:54 »
I don't have a lotty but I use a variety of mulches in my small garden.  The mixed border gets organic cocoa shell mulch.  This stuff sets hard and helps to keep the cats off as well as doing the usual job of a mulch.  (Do not use it if you have dogs because it could kill them.)  My plants in pots in the shady border are mulched with leaf mould, coffee grounds, grass clipppings or gravel depending on their needs.  The plants in pots on the sunny side are all mulched with gravel.  I've read that soil should never be left bare and I follow that rule.  If I had a lotty I'd probably use anything I could lay my hands on!

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 21:25:08 »
Well my lottie soil is like dust at the moment - so if I don't mulch I reckon it'd blow away!!!  I have poo, hops, grass, cardboard and paper so far - the more the merrier as far as my soil is concerned!

At home in the garden - only a couple of miles away  - I have  thick heavy sticky clay full of great big flipping flints!!!!  I have used loads of compost and poo over the years and it is now lovely to dig into and a pleasure to garden in.

So I reckong it all depends on what your soil is like - but loosely speaking  - if you have it  - use it!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal