Author Topic: Easter weekend - what are you doing?  (Read 3737 times)

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
Re: Easter weekend - what are you doing?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 16:02:45 »
timelady - sounds like you got your work but out as well as planned out! Don't worry about Monday - you can have it off if you like :)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 16:15:05 »
Hoping to get to the plot later, when oh gets back from fishing.
Have been tackling a very huge amount of washing, the machine is broken and they can't get the parts til the 17th!
Tomorrow consists of suffering from the night before (friends coming round later ::))
panic easter egg buying, tidying up garden and going to work at night.

But Sunday and Monday are designated digging days!!! I really am looking forward to it, how sad can that be ;D

Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 16:18:51 »
I've been 'booked' for Sunday by my mum  ::) But I managed to wangle the day into something positive. "Ooooh mum! Let's go to Hardwick Hall for the day!"

They have a fabulous herb garden you know  ;)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 16:43:52 »
Spuds in,carrots,beetroot,salsify and scorzonera in all under plastic tunnels,toms nearly all pricked out and pea and bean supports put up -it`s been a busy day :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 16:52:49 »
NOTHING!! 8)

Being retired I think I am entitled to a holiday as well  ::)

Got The kids & grandkids coming tomorrow(Sat)

Will need Sunday to recover from;..............Grandad lets do this............!!

Have a good weekend folks!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 17:13:08 »
been to the plot today, ray and steve put up some of the final part of the fence..
graham came to fix up the gate, nearly there,
I transplanted 90 asters, all from a free packet of seed from garden news,
 tomatoes in to large pots, the tigerella have gone mad
tomorrow, transporting the in laws to lytham, dad in law's finally given up his car..88 yrs old
sunday, picking up youngest 26, from leicester, home for a week..he's a chef at leicester uni so gets lots of holidays
monday, back to the lottie, always something to do..have a good one everyone  ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 17:39:57 »
well hope to get to plot sometime over weekend - need it to be either early or late - can't cope with the full sun on me or need a strong breeze if it is :)

being quite lazy really - have been 'unpacking' a box of things belonging to my late Mum - she's been 'gone' 2 years now and at last, I've somewhere to put most of them - still need to pack some back tho and not sure what to do with them yet.....been lovely and nostalgic.

Visiting some of the family tomorrow evening for a meal and then again, visiting others on Sunday for lunch probably after Church....Monday must be sowing time tho!

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 12:18:15 »
I might have a day off today. ;) My back is quite bad today, I never quite know how it's going to be. But we'll see... I feel guilty that I can only handle 2 or 3 hours at most at the plot. All the folks around me are so busy all day! I can't wait for the heavy digging to be done. Maybe by next year!

And you know I didn't stop to think that the Sunday shop might not be open tomorrow. Easter and all that. *duh* We'll see.

Tina.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 12:32:12 »
2 more rows of potatoes ( Milva) in.

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 13:49:48 »
Difficult to believe I know, but here in Switzerland where I live, it is still not accepted to work in the garden/allotment on Good Friday or Easter Sunday. No-one says anything if there is a barbacue going, or some sort of quiet hobby is being followed, but the rule is; no work, no noise, no washing hanging out, no car-cleaning, no lawn-mowers, etc., it's the same for Sundays in general. But I'm not complaining, I like it like this.

Our local allotment society keeps a sharp eye out for offenders and treats all with the same ruler.

Just how it used to be, many years ago,  back home in England.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 14:21:54 »
I remember that as well Busby...
Spuds going in, last two rows of 30+Kg...
then have a break for a couple of days.. just pricking out and other light work!
 ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 14:42:47 »
Hi Guys,

Today i have ear marked no allotment time as the boat race is on.

Getting work done in garden and having BBQ.

Cambourne7

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 16:12:48 »
I think that is an interesting comment Busby,John and I treat Sundays as non work days,and we rarely  participate in anying that means work for someone else,we don't eat out, shop or go to theatres etc on Sundays  but we do do our hobbies,  I sew, etc and as our gardenening  is our hobby we don't classify it as work.I suppose if we were farmers it would be work. We don't go to the allotment meetings is they fall on a Sunday.I find it interesting that these observances are different in different parts of the world. I am interested to find out about other countries, thank you for sharing that with us.

I remember years ago in England shops did not open as a rule, some little shops did but they were restricted as to what they could sell,eg you could buy bread but not soap,you could buy milk but not sweets.

I remember in Scotland that inns  were only allowed to sell to travellers, so everyone went to the next village for a pint.

Funny old world.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2007, 17:50:15 »
I am back from France and have planted Spinach and parsnip seeds and have planted my Asparagus seeds that I grew from seed last year.
I have also planted Butternut Squash plants, a big risk, but in a frame.

Proof on
http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html
More tomorrow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 18:30:52 »
When my site opened in 1840, it was restricted to those who attended church on a Sunday. I think rules of that sort were fairly common back then.

daisydoo

• Not So New ...
  • Leeds
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2007, 19:28:30 »
Weeding newly made raised beds and helping my other half put up a shed for me on the lottie. ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 20:04:15 »
Well the asparagus crowns Connovers Collosal) I had ordered finally arrived on Thursday (what good timing) and I managed to get them in yesterday.  I was every so pleased when I dug the bed over before putting the crowns in that all my hard work in Autumn paid off - I dug deep trenches and incorporated manure - the soil is now lovely and rich - should feed the asparagus all they need for a while.  It was very hard work - especially in the heat but well worth it.  Seeing that its lasts for 15 - 20 years. 

Planted out my gutter sown peas and planted some more Sugar Ann Peas.  Did a bit of watering and that's about it I'm afraid.  Today we had a fun day at the church and my muscles were a bit achy after all the trench digging yesterday - so the rest was gladly accepted.  I am hoping to get there later tomorrow to water the asparagus crowns and hopefully get my cabbages in.  But besides that I don't think I'll get much else done. Oh and there's a garden and craft show at Somerely which I would love to go to - so I think MOnday is fully bokked as well ;)

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 21:04:14 »
Working! http://www.chdt.org.uk/Events

We've got horses coming apparently to give cart rides - must take a bucket and shovel.......

Went and dug out some more couch today grrr!!!!!!!! 

Lovely and sunny!

Louise
X
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 21:52:09 by louise stella »
Grow yer bugger grow!

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2007, 00:58:31 »
Friday I was helping my cousin dig out old leylandii trunks and roots and managed to puncture my arm on an old piece of barbed wire. :o

Saturday we visited relations.  :D

Sunday I'll be planting my late crop spuds in the morning and in the afternoon I'll be finishing the leylandii (and minding the barbed wire) and putting up a fence at my cousins as well as helping him prepare a small veg patch.  :P

Monday I'm hoping to start on the landscaping of my back garden.

I'm looking forward to going back to work on Tuesday for a rest! :D
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2007, 05:15:21 »
 :) Well, like Caroline and Busby, I don't have much time over Easter to get to the allotment. I've probably been in church almost as much as Caroline's OH, singing at various services... (six, including two today.) I think it's actually busier than Christmas, because it's all packed into one rollercoaster week between Palm Sunday and today.

Yesterday evening I spent a couple of hours knocking together frames for the bees to draw out as honeycomb: they're working hard and if I don't keep ahead of their nectar storage needs, they'll start thinking about swarming.   

And, alas, on Monday I have work to catch up with. But I did manage to plant out another 8x4 bed of spuds today (yay!) and OH kindly broke the ground so I can add a new spud bed as soon as poss this week.

I'm up early now having a little quiet time and getting the children's Easter eggs etc out and heaping them on the kitchen table around our little Easter tree. Plus getting lunch prepped (if I don't do it now, it'll be 3pm before we eat!) Organic Suffolk lamb from a friend's farm for the carnivores and a splendid veggie nut-roast in a pastry crust for the veggievores. Loads of veg and lemon-curd flan for anyone who has room after all the chocolate eggs.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal