Author Topic: Easter weekend - what are you doing?  (Read 3845 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Easter weekend - what are you doing?
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:57:51 »
I am stuck in the South of France  :( and have time to play on the computer.

You should not be reading this as it is the busiest time of the year on the plot! :o

Have a great bank holiday weekend. :)

allaboutliverpool

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: Easter weekend - what are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:13:39 »
i am waiting for a seemly hour before i go out and bash the clay in the neighbours "side of house" bed which will be the wildflower garden.

then it's off down the potting shed to sow some beans and more toms that I got from the pass the parcel, then it's getting my old computer desk out of one of the greenhouses (currently being used as staging) and replacing it with the tiny version i'm using now.

i'm hoping this cloud clears and i can top up the tan !

you have a good one too matey !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:23:37 »
Hopefully fishing, shooting, gardening and waiting for parcel no3 to arrive from Mrs KP. Oh and watching the F1 procession. However wife & kids and probably work will have other ideas. At least I can do most non critical work from home.
Early spuds go in in 3 hours

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:41:18 »
Um..not alot really, going out in the garden, and my nan and grandad are coming round for a meal on Sunday :)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:22:47 »
Potato planting today........and working on and off the allotment at the weekend.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 09:36:07 »
I am turning vegetarian!!!! First day. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:46:17 »
Planning to go to Columbia Road market on Sunday morning to buy cheap plants for the front garden.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:34 »
Dear Dandelion,
Great web site, how do you find time for gardening? I do not know your books, I am too old. Do the animals have an allotment, they could teach kids a thing or two!

Good shopping.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:52:31 »
good luck Jeannine  :)  Am bashing clay in front garden to make herb bed and fussing over seedlings today  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 11:14:10 »
let me see, what am i doing....

BED 1
=====

Dig over
Add manure
Back Fill

Needs to be planted with Saxon, and Juliette and Lady Balflour.

BED 2
=====

Water

BED 3
=====

Dig over
Add manure
Back Fill

Plant Onion sets, Carrots Early Nantes, Margolds, beetroot.

BED 4
=====

Dig over
Add manure
Back Fill

Plant - Leeks, onion & Swede when grown in cells.

BED 5
=====

Dig over
Add manure
Back Fill

Plant Malin, Valor, parsley hamberg
Sow Achocha

BED 6
=====

Water and await harvest
Sow Pak Choi, Wok Boc, spring onions, Early purple sprouting broccoli, calabrese, spinach, brussel sprouts, chinese cabbage and radish.

BED 7
=====

Build frame and add blood and bone. Warm up soil.

BED 8
=====

wait for the onions to come to full harvest.

Sow for main beds
============

Onions, Leeks, Swede, Achocha,
Pak Choi, Wok Boc, spring onions, Early purple sprouting broccoli, calabrese, spinach, brussel sprouts, chinese cabbage and radish.

Sow for mini beds In toilet rolls
======================

Courgette Green Bush, Celery, Butternut Squash, Mellon and WaterMellon

Wood Work preperation
==================

* Make some frames for netting over the raised beds
* Make the plastic cover for 2 beds
* Cut some supports for shed
* Cut wood for miniGreenhouse
* Cut wood for L raised bed.

I plan on doing 2 hours a day but this is my plan for the next week :-)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 11:21:16 »
Actually  John is moving glass and then washing the kitchen floor and I am picking daisies after I finish my Easter choccies XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 11:42:36 »
Cambourne - 1/2 hour/day with embrocation?

Jeannine - we have 3 'veggies' - At 56, 51 & 46 they're all still living. Just makes it difficult for the host!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 12:58:07 »
no liniment just going to take my time and take things easy.

Hubbie is going to be using my cordless saw to cut the wood and get everything ready and i will put things together as i go.

I can easly manage 4-6 wheelbarrow loads of soil a day without my back giving up and it takes 7 to fill a bed and 1 barrow full or horse manure. So its just a matter of balancing digging beds over with bringing in more soil. Most of the weeds i am digging out are dock and i am putting them in the skip on site which is on the way to the pile of compost so its quite economical in footfall.

Once the beds full i am scattering in blood, fish and bone and watering then planting and watering again.

powerspade

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 13:14:46 »
Transporting leaf mould from my garden collected during the winter and filling up new compost area in lotie.  Planting spuds, carrots, leeks, parsnips and peas during the weekend

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 13:44:29 »
All this lovely weather and I am going to miss most of the weekend! OH being a Baptist Minister, this is our second busiest time of the year (Christmas being the busiest).

If i get time, I will be building more raised beds on lottie no. 2, putting tomatoes into pots in greenhouse and potting up my (far too many) seedlings. In reality, I will probably just about manage to keep it all watered and ticking over!

cj :)

PS Good luck Jeannine!

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 13:51:41 »
Hm...well I'm in for a 15 minute break after digging over our cottage garden border (half way there now!) and pricking out a few buzzy lizzies...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 14:06:36 »
Well I only managed two bits of choccie,but am cooking baked fish with a pasta and leek concoction  for dinner. John probably won't notice he is not eating meat for a bit I hope. Caroline I shall be back wanting tips if you wouldn't mind.

Your Easter sounds lovely by the way.I am hoping to get to the lottie to get stuff in but John is still moving glass.

Cambourne, sound like you are going to be working hard.

XX Jeannine

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 14:12:00 »
Jeannine - tell me you haven't opened your eggs already :D did you receive the PM?

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 15:26:03 »
Hello! Long time no write, its been a bit hectic here lately, but this weekend I plan to plant out my seed potatoes and get some later ones chitting and get some more of my plot dug over and weeded(only had it a few weeks). I have already sewn some seeds indoors, and the children have done some of their own (carrots, peas, courgette, pumpkin and sunflower).

DH is currently in the garden building me a compost bin out of some old pallets, so we will take that down there at some point and I have a tool shed to collect from the next town as well and get that put in place!

I need to work out what I ought to be doing with the established strawberries on the plot already, I think straw is needed somewhere, but need to read up on them!

Hope the clouds clear, its freezing here on the coast without a bit of sunshine!

Have a great weekend everyone.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 15:56:04 »
Today: planted some flower bulbs, my nante carrots and spinach (well, not really spinach but some sort of beet leaf I think), dug off the top layer of couch grass in the next length of bed.

Tomorrow: fork and de-root the dug length, plant marigold and azalea seeds.

Sunday: Really clear, break up and plant something in that new dug length. Clear an area by the broad beans so I can plant other beans or peas there. (It's dug there but has been left a long time so needs serious weeding.) Want to get to the plot early while our little 'shop' is open and ask if they have whatever chemical thing I need to kill off some bramble roots. I know there's something I can just put on them to start killing them, since I won't get around to digging them up for a long time.

Monday: er, do something. :) Not sure what but get over to the plot for an hour or so. Maybe chop some bramble as a break from dirt, haven't done that in a while.

Tina.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal