Author Topic: Plastic dustbins for compost bins?????  (Read 1993 times)

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
Plastic dustbins for compost bins?????
« on: May 17, 2004, 08:23:44 »
In return for the supplying them with £150 a month  :( council tax, my esteemed local authority have deemed me worthy of looking after one of their wheelie bins! I now have two plastic dustbins (black if this makes a difference - tee hee!) that are surplus to requirements - thinking of half burying them with the bottoms cut out and useing as compost bins. Do any of the site Sages have any words of wisdom on the matter please!??? ???

Tenuse

• Acre
Re:Plastic dustbins for compost bins?????
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 13:30:40 »
You could use them as water butts? If you drilled a small hole in them and fitted a tap.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 13:40:13 »
I have been using plastic bins for compost for the past few years and find them very effective.  I have drilled four or five holes in the bottom with a hole saw (about an inch and half across).  This seems to be enough to let the worms in and excess water out.  I shred everything before I add it in layers, keep it moist and they fully compost in about 6 months - or about 3 months in summer.  Benefits are
1) they are conveniently small - so I can keep one by back back door for kitchen scraps
2) not too heavy - I can move one fairly easily when full and my hubby can pick a full one up and turn it over into an empty one
3) small and cheap enough so that you can have several on the go all at different stages

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 13:42:16 »
Why half bury them?

If you remove the base you have the equivalent of what would cost you £20 -£30. By placing them on the surface, when the contents need turning or using just lift the bin off and move it to its new location

Phil

PS black is good as it absorbs heat to reduce composting time

Phil

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 14:41:45 »
I burned some round holes in the sides and used them as Strawberry planters.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 15:14:52 »
We grabbed about 6 from the neighbours when our council went to wheelies - ours were "plastic sack" bins with a hole in the bottom (about 1/2 the area). They work pretty well - and the lids help keep them dry/damp enough. The other use - plant early spuds in about 1/4 full bin, keep "earthing up" - and stick the lid on overnight when frost threatens.
Sumer is a coming in....

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 15:20:15 »
 :D Brilliant suggestions, thank you all! Think that for once North Wiltshire District Council MAY have done something useful with my council tax!!!!!!!!! Cheers guys, appreciated!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal