Author Topic: oh I could cry!!!  (Read 5406 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: oh I could cry!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 09:55:00 »

I've been seriously thinking about putting one of those plastic tarpaulines over the greenhouse roof

Have you considered just draping fleece over your plants or pinning/fixing it to the roof of the greenhouse.

I find this is as good as blinds or paint on shading.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 08:22:52 »
The exact same thing happened to me last year. I bought new plastic greenhouses again this year but the small ones cover ripped down the side of the zip after the first day so it provides excellent ventilation LOL... and the bigger greenhouse seems not to cook everything.

Good luck with second sowings.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 09:00:51 »
Hello grand day again. Would the plantsget enough light if you put a tarpaulin over the top? When you say fleece do you mean the white stuff? I suppose that would let some light through but keep the temps down. Or is bubble wrap best? Ihave to try something this week.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 09:54:38 »
That's it, think I'm going to go the fleece route, will bring some back from the plot today. Will have to give it a wash first though!  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 13:20:18 »
Have had to take the brassicas and lettuce out of the greenhouse each day...
 :-\

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 17:49:55 »
It`s not too late to sow again, I hack on about this at times but `off the peg` greenhouses do not have enough ventilation-it`s well worth the extra expense to get additional vents and louvres.

I admit that automatic vents do got come free but they should last for years and can save heartbreak

lilybetbee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 10:12:04 »
This time of year I use the conservatory instead as it doesn't get as hot or cold as the greenhouse. The fan gives air movement if needed and opening it to the house helps regulate temperature.
Convenient too, as you can check plants whilst eating breakfast!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05:58 »
As I've just put on another thread, I nearly did the same thing to my melon seedlings this morning, it was 80 degrees in my 'cold' greenhouse at 9am, higher in the mini greenhouses inside that!  8)

I'm still sowing some tomatoes for outdoor growing, always useful to have a few spares and stagger the maturity a bit...well that's my excuse!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 11:57:48 »
So that's a daft idea then :-[

cj :)
Not daft at all - just not a good idea at this time of year. I have 6ft x8ft with two side vents, a roof vent and leave the door open and last summer spraying water all over the place and watering the floor in the mornings was the only way I could keep the heat down.

I lost a lot of my tom seeds by sowing in too soggy soil this year - got a terribly low propagation rate. Bit of a b*gg*r when a lot were F1 and only come 10 seeds to a packet! But nil desperandum, will be replanting any day now. I remember planting some at this time last year and it wasn't too late. In fact  found they tended to catch up with the earlier ones.

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 22:50:08 »
:)just an update folks,

I started again, and so far every thing is fine,  discarded the plastic cover to the mini greenhouse, and use it as shelving only, and everything gets shaded with fleece when the sun is strong, I've just to sow the cucumber now or is it too late for that?

The radishes and turnips have germinated in raised beds, and you'll all be glad to know that my upside down potatoes ('this is not a late April fool ' thread in Basics) have come to the surface, after a long battle  ;D ;D

oh I am mightily pleased  ;D
Life is to short !!!

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 07:24:29 »
Hi Wilko, I know I am repeating myself, I said this on another thread a couple weeks ago but, when you shade the GH, make sure the shading is on the outside. ;)

The glass still soaks up the heat despite the shading when you use it on the inside, and all it does is shade the plant from the light of the sun. 

I heard this on GW years ago and although I have not tried both ways, it makes perfect sense so it's got to be worth doing. 

I use old bamboo window blinds (only £3-£5 each brand new) on mine, laid on sideways and attached with tie wraps at one end, roll and unroll daily if need be.

Good luck with your new stuff!  :D
Donna
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 08:51:10 »
 :)ok thanks Donna, I'll have a go at that, makes perfect sense really dosen't it!  ::)  :)
thought for the day !!!!
I must put my brain in gear  ;D ;D
Life is to short !!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 09:21:20 »
I find shading paint is a very heap and easy option. use a long-handled broom if you can't reach, and it just wipes off afterwards. Trouble is , deciding when to put it on! I also have some of my glass bubble-wrapped, originally for winter but it also provides shade for summer, although after a couple of years it rots in the sun.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 20:06:39 »
That Bamboo sounds a good idea. I got round my problem by opening door and vents on a morning and closing again at teatime. Not a problem as i'm up there more often now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal