Author Topic: Another pond plant planting question  (Read 2048 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Another pond plant planting question
« on: April 05, 2007, 22:08:44 »
We have a selection of pond plants all in buckets waiting for the new pond to be finished, but I am hoping to get lots more plants (if I rob the bank).  When I was at the ye olde pond shoppe today I noticed they sell the baskets and compost, but also hessian basket liners.  Do I need to line the baskets before planting the plants?  I have never done this before and I think the plants have always done okay but am now wondering if I am doing things wrong.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Another pond plant planting question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 22:14:07 »
We don't usually line the baskets but you do need to put gravel on top to stop the soil [special stuff] floating away.  On GW last week they planted some pond plants & omitted the gravel & you sould see all the soil escaping as they lowered the pots.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 22:14:58 »
I saw that Mary.  Yes, I always put a good layer of gravel on top of the pots.  I guess it is just the shop making more profit from us water gardeners.

tim k

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:20:48 »
you can get the hessian from a builders merchant its worth using it as the soil escapes through the sides of the pot

old white cotton sheets are just as good they break down a bit faster but by that time the root system holds the soil in place

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 19:22:13 »
To be quite honest for 50p it's worth using the hessian. It does stop the soil eroding. If you have koi carp you will need to put a good layer of gravel on the top otherwise they will ferret amongst the plants and uproot them.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal