Author Topic: How many fruits?  (Read 4876 times)

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re:How many fruits?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 16:54:17 »
Thank you folks!
Tim your squash climbing frame looks the business - mine will have to manage with an 8' long piece of netlon supported with bamboo canes - might be interesting!  

Strangest thing - squash and watermelon seeds that I thought had rotted off germinated yesterday in the scorching temperature in the greenhouse!  I'd chucked them in the corner of the staging and forgotton about them.  Now I have loads! Wonder if fellow plotties would be interested in receiving donations  8)
AC x
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 17:35:38 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2004, 17:01:26 »
We'll see!! = Tim

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 17:31:58 »
Well, thanks mainly to the wonderful generosity of friends here, I've got winter, summer and ornamental gourds galore to accommodate !!  ;D

So, decided to go vertical and invest in a couple of tubular steel rose arches !! 8ft high, 4ft span, 15" wide, and only £7 each ! Reckon I will try 4 or maybe even 6 plants to each ! ( Too many ?? ) All I need now is the sunshine!!  ::)
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 17:36:40 »
Where from MagpieD?  Sounds like a deal to me!
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 17:46:24 »
Hi AC !
A supermarket in Wallsend, Tyne & Wear called Kwik Save. Branches in Yorkshire too where I live, but could be just in the North, not sure !  Had them a couple of months now, not constructed yet, just waiting for teenage son to run out of excuses !!  ::)  ::)
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2004, 18:01:22 »
Sounds great value. = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 02:02:49 »
Unlike melons, John, where you only allow one fruit per each of 4 stems.

I learn that daughter is growing winter squash. She goes in for  variety rather than no. of fruit. In which case, to avoid the jungle, would it be detrimental to chop the shoots when they start impeding your access? ! = Tim

You do, Tim? Explain please.

You can chop squash vines if they get out of their alloted space, I've seen many mown or disc harrowed when they encroach where they are not wanted.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 06:12:56 »
1. Wicket keeper, maybe? First, I should have said 'cold frame growing'. Second, that we were always taught to limit to 4 branches, one to each corner. Third, there should have been my usual 'don't know' question mark to the number of fruit. 'Spose if you get more in the distance available, bully for you!

2. Oh, goodie!! = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal